Gollies??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
My sister has some guppys she is bringing me this weekend, finally. But she was asking me if guppies and mollies could mate. Because she saw one of the guppies getting together with one of the mollies. And I don't know if they can produce babies together. She was saying some of the guppies have unexplained orange color (color of the mollies). Another thing, one of the mollies she has had for over a year has grown what sounds to me like a sword tail. It never had the pointy tail she said until very recently. How long does it take for them to mature?

It's possible, but I've seen spayed and neutered cats try and mate, and I've seen a tiny little dog that chased around this huge cat and tried to mate with it as well.. I don't think we'll be seeing any pittens or kuppies any time soon :]

It is done altogether too often (and has been for well over a decade)....the usual term for them is 'muppies' as opposed to 'gollies', though

Yes, I believe they do. Sometimes you will see these fish at chain pet stores as well. There is a lot of this type of thing in the hobby but I'm not a fan. When it comes to keeping livebearers with livebearers, anything is possible!

robertmarda said:
So I am learning. On a site I went to it indicated mollies and guppies are more closely related than other live bearers such as platies or swordtails.

They are....mollies are Poecilia latipinna/velifera/etc, and guppies Poecilia reticulata....they share a genus. However, animals of the same family, but even different genera have been known to successfully hybridise.

Back
Top Bottom