Good 10gallon filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've done this with several different aqueon quiet flows, for a while I did it with my penguin 350, and I've done it with my fluval c3(which is made by the same company and only slightly different than the aquaclear) and ill do it to whatever filter I need to in the future haha. It works, it costs slightly more than an old bottle, but I like it better and it's like adding a sponge filter on top of your regular filter. Let me know if you need pictures or help!

so, i tried your sponge trick with all my filters. i really like the way it functions, but i'm not crazy about how visible they are on the penguins and top fin in the 20 gallon, but it fits much better on the aquaclear in the 10. i didn't like the way the bottles looked until i got used to that either though. haha.

i may try to trim them down a bit more, so they're not quite so obvious. thanks again for the idea!

71236-albums11041-picture48071.jpg

A less visible alternative is to build a lip extension. Here are some pics for the lip extension for the AC50 ( though it can be applied to most any HOB). You'll need sturdy scissors, pliers, and a section of the plastic strip that is sold with glass tops. Hopefully the pics are self explanatory. You cut the strip to the width of the HOB spillway. You want to make two bends (the heat helps make the plastic more pliable):
#1. Bend the section of the strip that has the part that grips the glass hood downward about 45 degrees
#2. Bend the strip lengthwise along the middle about 45 degrees upward
Next, use pliers to pinch the part that grips the glass hood in one or two areas. Do not apply too much force. This will allow the lip extension to grip the HOB spillway and not fall into your tank.
You will have to adjust the bends and see what works best with your water level.

Attachments

• image-1935488261.jpg
    image-1935488261.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 61
  • image-3194483146.jpg
    image-3194483146.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 56
  • image-1100222013.jpg
    image-1100222013.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 52
so, i tried your sponge trick with all my filters. i really like the way it functions, but i'm not crazy about how visible they are on the penguins and top fin in the 20 gallon, but it fits much better on the aquaclear in the 10. i didn't like the way the bottles looked until i got used to that either though. haha.

i may try to trim them down a bit more, so they're not quite so obvious. thanks again for the idea!

Glad you tried it! Yea it's about as visually appealing as the bottle trick, you can make it a little thinner though and it might be slightly hidden by the aquarium trim. It's definitely about functionality with the sponge but I like it, I think the lip extension is a cool idea and looks pretty good, but I'm not going to buy the plastic piece needed for that, not while the box o' sponges are $4 anyway

Glad you tried it! Yea it's about as visually appealing as the bottle trick, you can make it a little thinner though and it might be slightly hidden by the aquarium trim. It's definitely about functionality with the sponge but I like it, I think the lip extension is a cool idea and looks pretty good, but I'm not going to buy the plastic piece needed for that, not while the box o' sponges are $4 anyway

I do the exact same thing with the sponges for my rcs tank and I placed a piece on my intake tube to protect my fry from getting sucked into the filter as they pass by

These little things are coming in handy. :)

Keeps water moving in the breeder box, without pushing the fry around. It already looks so much cleaner overnight.

Attachments

• image-1436302814.jpg
    image-1436302814.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 50
Back
Top Bottom