Good additions to a guppy tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

austinsdad

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm a salty, so I need your help, you fresh people you:rolleyes:.

My aunt and uncle have a 55g tank full of guppys. They are happy to just let them do their thing and not have to deal with fish diseases. Must be a more than a hundred fantails and babies all over the place. Very clean tank too with very little cleaning. Is there anything else that might be fun and VERY EASY to add. Shrimp? Other fish that don't get icked out. Anything else?

Platy work well and shouldn't cause a problem, but I'd hesitate to recommend adding anything else to that tank unless they are willing to do large water changes. My 20gallon has ~50 guppy/platy and I'm stuck doing 50% water changes every couple days due to the overstocking. Have you ever checked their nitrAte levels? Probably really high....

Shrimp might eat the fry.

I have a 40g tall guppy tank with hundreds of guppies in there form adult to day old fry and I use pygmy corydoras and malaysian trumpet snails to keep the tank clean, the pygmys are small and stay small and are a blast to watch.

And how frequently do you do water changes? Hundreds in a 40 gallon sounds horrible...unless you have a gigantic sump

I've looked at the tank. It may be 80g, but it is impeccably clean and they talk about how little work is done to keep it that way. It ain't broke from what I've seen and they've reported, so no fix is likely gonna be suggested from me.

Also, those 3/4" fish don't seem to be taking up a lot of space.

Thanx for ya'lls input.

Last edited:
I've looked at the tank. It may be 80g, but it is impeccably clean and they talk about how little work is done to keep it that way. It ain't broke from what I've seen and they've reported, so no fix is likely gonna be suggested from me.

Also, those 3/4" fish don't seem to be taking up a lot of space.

Thanx for ya'lls input.

Sorry I might not have been clear, I was referring to WhiteDevil's post not yours.

And how frequently do you do water changes? Hundreds in a 40 gallon sounds horrible...unless you have a gigantic sump

once a week. 30-40 adults and the rest fry, hot 250+ac70+ac50 is more then enough for these small fish. gravel barely spits up anything in this tank. enough filtration,enough "scrappers" and enough plants and its fine. Not one guppy has died from illness in this tank and I havnt had a single cull in over 3 months.

I work part time from home and have plenty of time to mind my tanks. They are all clean, yes id drink the water.

once a week. 30-40 adults and the rest fry, hot 250+ac70+ac50 is more then enough for these small fish. gravel barely spits up anything in this tank. enough filtration,enough "scrappers" and enough plants and its fine. Not one guppy has died from illness in this tank and I havnt had a single cull in over 3 months.

I work part time from home and have plenty of time to mind my tanks. They are all clean, yes id drink the water.

I wasn't ever concerned about the ammonia/nitrIte, it was about the nitrAtes. Even a massively planted tank would have nitrAte issues unless you are under crazy lighting, compressed CO2, ferts, etc. Trust me, I'm heavily planted with 65w CF over a 20 gallon tank, compressed CO2, and dose ferts daily and my tank has nitrAte issues from the heavy stocking. But it still is less fish per gallon than you. Look at the pic in my sig. That's AFTER a heavy pruning, normally from top to bottom it's packed with plants.

Back
Top Bottom