Good Advice from LFS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrskater1999

Aquarium Advice Freak
So i went to my LFS today to ask about bottom feeders for my cichlid tank. I was told that cory cats would work if the PH was right. I was also told that clown loaches would work also. I trust this store very much and have never heard a bad thing about it. Its a mom and pop store not a junky Petsmart or Petco. Is this true? I have ARGONITE sand in my tank.

jrskater1999 said:
So i went to my LFS today to ask about bottom feeders for my cichlid tank. I was told that cory cats would work if the PH was right. I was also told that clown loaches would work also. I trust this store very much and have never heard a bad thing about it. Its a mom and pop store not a junky Petsmart or Petco. Is this true? I have ARGONITE sand in my tank.

No cories with African cichlids
Cories can't be with many South americans either mainly apistos, rams, kribs(Africans), keyholes, etc
What size tank? Some clown loaches will be fine in a 150 gal tank

emerald76 said:
No cories with African cichlids
Cories can't be with many South americans either mainly apistos, rams, kribs(Africans), keyholes, etc
What size tank? Some clown loaches will be fine in a 150 gal tank

+1 I agree

25 gal but the clowns loaches i saw were like 1". I will move them out when they get big

25 gal but the clowns loaches i saw were like 1". I will move them out when they get big

Do you have a 150G? Really would not recommend clown loaches on the belief you'll get a big tank.

Fantastic fish but they get huge.

I think a 25 gallon is too small for any Africans. They have a lot of "personality" as they grow... For lack of better terms.

ashleynicole said:
I think a 25 gallon is too small for any Africans. They have a lot of "personality" as they grow... For lack of better terms.

In one of his previous threads he said he will get them a bigger tank once he has enough money :) I got him too :)))))

Fishie said:
In one of his previous threads he said he will get them a bigger tank once he has enough money :) I got him too :)))))

Thank you Fishie for being observant. :)

The only type of catfish I would recommend for an African Cichlid tank is a syno catfish, particularly the featherfin. Even that is hit or miss sometimes, plus they get to be 6+ inches and are sometimes sort of pricey.

Just to clarify, kribs are African cichlids and they would do fine with Corydoras (there are other Africans that would as well). You have African Rift Lake cichlids, specifically Malawi Mbuna. These are not compatible with Corydoras.

The only type of catfish I would recommend for an African Cichlid tank is a syno catfish, particularly the featherfin. Even that is hit or miss sometimes, plus they get to be 6+ inches and are sometimes sort of pricey.

I agree. However, this tank is too small for the fish that are in it already. Mbuna grow pretty quickly and IMO, you're going to have some serious aggression problems before too long. I would strongly suggest not adding anything else until you can upgrade the tank to a 55 gallon or larger.

I made the assumption it was mbuna based on that is what is in most "assorted African cichlid" tanks at the local pet store. Guess I should've inquired exactly what kind they were, lol.

Back
Top Bottom