Good algae eaters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

calfishguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am having a hard time cleaning my 29 planted tank. Algae is starting to cover some plant leaves and I struggle to scrape it all off. Are there some snails/shrimp that could help with this. I know I should be dealing with what is causing the algae and I am working on that too. It currently has two angels wich are only three inches long and haven't grown in a year and an albino bn pleco

Otos for sure. Small, love algae and cute. I had 3 and they took care of all the algae on 25 gallon

i have 6 otos in my 29 gallon tank. i've not fed them for months. they just eat of the algae in my tank. try nerite snails and siamese algae eaters if you can locate them. they're good as well.

+ 1 on the Otos. I have 2 in my daughters 20 gallon and 4 in my 70 gallon(need a couple more) . They really keep the algae down and do not have a huge bio load. The only issue is they need a mature tank and supposedly they are delicate at first Personally never had any issue with them

thanks for the suggestions everyone. If you have any others please let me know.

Would 3 otos, a few zebra snails, and mts be a good combo?

thanks for the suggestions everyone. If you have any others please let me know.

Would 3 otos, a few zebra snails, and mts be a good combo?

Sounds good the only thing is I warn you the mts breed like crazy I started with 10 in my 70 gallon in march/April and now I remove 20-30 a week to keep their numbers in check (about 50 or so).

The more I read about mts it seems that you can control there population pretty easily by not overfeeding. So I think I may give it a try.

The more I read about mts it seems that you can control there population pretty easily by not overfeeding. So I think I may give it a try.

I personally like them,I just wanted to warn you in case you were not aware of how prolific their breeding is. I don't over feed but since they eat the algae, biofilm, leftovers, and the sick/dead leaves they always have a lot of food. Plus even if you have a lot they are easy to get rid of.

I personally like them,I just wanted to warn you in case you were not aware of how prolific their breeding is. I don't over feed but since they eat the algae, biofilm, leftovers, and the sick/dead leaves they always have a lot of food. Plus even if you have a lot they are easy to get rid of.

Okay. How exactly do you get rid of them?

Snail traps don't work, loaches on the other hand are amazing at snail control. Professional exterminators. Anyway don't buy a fish or invertebrate to solve a problem, it's mistake. Also, algae is MUCH different in a planted tank as opposed to a non planted. Our lighting is intense because we need to satisfy our plants, while non planted lighting is not enough to really spur the more troublesome algae. Solve your water quality issue, THEN get your algae helpers.

Back
Top Bottom