good aqaurium deals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buggsmarinetank

Aquarium Advice Regular
No questions here, just wanted some answers to a few questions.
I currently live in Miami, and I am possibly looking for a bigger tank. I dont need any advice on tank upkeeping, or anythings of that nature, but I am interested in good places to find some awesome deals on aquariums. I can build my own stand since woodwork is another hobby of mine, so my questions basically is where should I look for the great deals. I would like a 55, but a 75 is doable if not too $$$.

Those tanks are pieces of crap that Wal-Mart sells. The heater are cheap and are not fully submersible, the HOB filter is ok, it dosen't come with an air pump or air stone, and the tops are punch out pieces of plastic. I would not recommend buying any set from them. The only thing that is good is the aquarium itself. And its not worth it. You can find a much better deal with better supplies at your lfs. What I did was call around at several of my lfs to find the best deal.

i have a 55 from wal-mart, heater was submersible but broke(wal mart special) the filter is ok except i am going to replace it with bio wheel filter. dont get a whisper air pump (the jet engine noisewise of air pumps).

my 29 is from walmart and has been running for 3 yearsish and it is better then any i have owned so i got the 55 and its working great... and also at my lfs i saw a 38gal with just a tank(same brand as 55galtank) and hood (same type as 55gal hood) for $198... on sale!!!

I just went to Wal-Mart yesterday to buy supplies to setup a 10 gal QT. The hood and lights itself was $28.74! You can buy the setup for $29.74 which includes: tank, hood, lights, and filtration unit. Of course I got home and realized the filtration was crap so I replaced it. The tank itself looks a bit iffy. I had to reseal a corner of it because it leaked. I wouldn't spend the money at Wal-Mart, go to a real lfs. They have better tanks.

I dont know what everyone else prob with these tanks.I got the 29gal from wally world and its an all glass aquarium.Just like the brand a lfs would sell you.And prob alot cheaper then a lfs.when i got my 90gal i just bought the tank and got it for $95.Then i used stuff i had left over.

I bought the 55 gallon tank at walmart for my girlfriend for this past x-mas. The heater works just fine fully submersed. (her tank is in her basement, and in the winter it gets cold). The filtration unit could be better, but its fine for the time being. I also have a 29 gallon walmart special. I replaced the heater, and am planning on getting an aquaclear 70 powerfilter, but other than that, the tank is great.
-Stewie

I'm looking to get another tank and I'm thinking of going used. I'd have to find the right deal. I've seen a lot of nice set ups go on ebay for a decent price. No one ships so it takes a while to find a set up close enough to you. THere's also aquabid and the local newspaper. When I buy new, I'll expect to have to put some extra money into it within the first year since I'm getting older mechanics but the savings still should be there.

Check out craigslist, and also check out your local aquarium society. Most have auctions, and you can get some steals! I just got a 90 gallon tank for $30 at one this saturday.

Just bought a TopFin 55 gallon tank with heater and hob filter for $160, got a great looking stand for $99, for a total cost of about $280 with tax. Check PetSmart (not PetCo), I think they tend to have the best selection and deals.

dr_girlfriend said:
Check PetSmart (not PetCo), I think they tend to have the best selection and deals.
Hate to disagree with you there. That would be my last place to look.

How come? I shopped about 10 stores this weekend and they had by far the best prices.

For a tank specifically I would not go there. As well as filters and other hardware. They have generally poor selection and quality. Also, price wise for the filters you could get online waaayyy cheaper even with shipping. For tanks, I always look for used ones first. You can usually find a good one for cheap, takes some time sometimes though.

As for stands, thats where they completely rip you off. 150-300 bucks for mdf and veneer? If you improvise you can use something else for your stand (like a TV stand) for way cheaper and the same materials. Or you can make one for really cheap and customize it and make it as fancy or as basic as you want.
Right now I have a 29 on a dresser from Ikea I got for $50, I have a 20 on a TV stand from walmart for $30. They both have storage and look great.

You can find some great deals, especially if you live in a large metro area. Craigslist, e-bay, garage sales, aquarium society auctions all have dirt cheap items alot of the time. I even lucked out and got a Flowerhorn with a tank and eclipse system for $90. Turns out the flowerhorn is worth about $500. :mrgreen:

For a tank specifically I would not go there
We got a 150 gal tank setup for $460 from PetsMart, I don't think that's expensive considering the lfs wanted $900 for the same setup.

Also, price wise for the filters you could get online waaayyy cheaper even with shipping
The same is true from the lfs. They overprice stuff ALOT. We got a H.O.T. Magum for $40 from PetsMart and it was on SALE at the lfs for $130.

(like a TV stand)
Bad idea unless you have a small tank. They are not built for tanks.

I just have not had any problems with PetsMart. PetCo on the other hand, no luck there. Poor selections. But, IMO, PetsMart's around here are a lot cheaper than the lfs and have a larger selection. Then again, our lfs (plural) don't have the money or space to have the amount of stuff that PetsMart does. Sorry to disagree with ya Dr_girlfriend but I just haven't had any bad luck at a PetsMart.

Bad idea unless you have a small tank. They are not built for tanks.
Just heavy TV's. :D My dresser from Ikea isn't "made" for tanks, but its just as strong as a tank stand from petsmart. If its "made" for a tank that usually means "jack the price up 20%".
I never said LFS was cheaper than petsmart! I'm saying if youre looking for a good deal, Petsmart isn't high on the list.
We got a 150 gal tank setup for $460 from PetsMart
Which isn't too bad, depending what came with your setup. I've seen a whole set up for a 150 for $200-300, so it still pays to shop around. Just depends whats available in your area and if you care if its used or not.

We prefer not to buy used because we had an issue with a really good friend who also happened to be our neighbor. He had a 55 gal saltwater setup going in it and was upgrading to a 265 gal. He sold us the tank and after we got it home and set it up, it started leaking slightly. This wasn't a big deal, we just sealed it. The issues started to arise with the tank stand, filtration unit, and heater. They were all crappy. Great brands, just old. So we ended up having to replace all of them. It would have been cheaper just to buy new from the lfs.

In the 150 gal setup, it came with tank, stand, glass hoods, light, ugf (in storage), and two adjustable submersable heaters. I don't think it was a bad deal. The guy even threw in a couple 30 inch plants because I complained that we had to buy all new plants. :D :D

Although, I am finding it VERY difficult to find a backing for this tank. It is 48 long and 31 high.

Back
Top Bottom