good beginner aquarium plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kyoto tig

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i want to make a small garden area for my fish in my 55 gallon tank. what's a good, thick, inexpensive plant for beginners?

my biggest fish is a koi 4", i want a nice spot for them to hide.

Java Fern, anarcharis, Java moss, Vallisneria are all good starters. You're from houston too! Check out Fish Gallery they've got an awesome staff and great selection, they'll get your feet planted. *ba dum tish

kois can decimate a water garden ... you would need hardy pond type plants. Java Ferns & anubias are prob 2 easy ones to start with. <55 isn't big enough for real pond plants ...>

What kind of light do you have, that would determine what plants will grow.

I have been looking around for lights and I came across some on eBay that I am interested in. I haven't bought them because I am deployed but I plan on it when I get back. They have some with 2 lights and another version with 4 lights depending on what type of plants you want and what your budget will allow. As I said, I haven't bought from them but they have very good reviews so I feel pretty comfortable. The lights come with ballasts as well, I wasn't sure so I emailed them.

i just planted a 55gal, it'll be one week ago tomorrow. my water sprite and wisteria have exploded in just short of two weeks time.. i would recommend them along with the anacharis mentioned above.

Java moss is biggest priority
And some anubis species maybe, the denser the plants the better the view ^^

Back
Top Bottom