Good bottom feeders for sharp substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bytal

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 30 gal and I'm trying to figure out what kind of fish to get for the bottom of my tank. I'm using flourite dark as a substrate which is pretty sharp. I got a couple small pieces jammed under my finger nails while rinsing it and it can hurt. I've read that all members of the catfish family prefer sand for their barbels. I was thinking of a small pleco but it seems they also like sand. I havn't seen any fish profiles the specifically say such and such a fish will do good with a sharp substrate. Can anyone help me with some suggestions.

I have cories in with my fluorite, they've been in for a few years with no problems. I also have a banjo cat, and some ropefish too.

First, welcome to AA.

Honestly I cannot really think of any bottom-feeders that would be "good" for sharper gravel, because sharper gravel isn't good for any bottom-feeder. They need rounder/softer, substrate for their bellies more then their barbels. If it's possible I just suggest switching out the substrate if you want bottom feeders, but if you don't want to switch your kind of limited. Maybe you could try some shrimp or something for bottom-feeders, it's just I wouldn't even feel comfortable even trying to put something like loaches or cories in a tank with sharp gravel.

Ben

ghost shrimp work well as bottom cleaners for a sharp substrate tank...

I have cories in with my fluorite, they've been in for a few years with no problems. I also have a banjo cat, and some ropefish too.
Do you find your cories dig in the fluorite and move it around looking for food, or just suck at the top of it?

They don't dig around in it as much as they do in sand, they stick to the top layer of it moving it around.

I have had the cories in my fluorite sub. tank for about 4 years now and havent had any probs at all with them. I'm watching them now with the butts in the air sifting the top layer right now..

I also have yoyo loaches and angelicus loaches and they are fine as well.

I have corydoras, shrimp and kuhli loaches in my flourite red tank, no issues, not even a scratch or uneven barbells, infact the corydoras barbells are HUGE.

Well I've kind of filled my tank up with fish so I guess I will give shrimp a try to keep the bottom of my tank clean. Would anyone be able to tell me if my fish will find them expensive tasty snacks or if they will generally leave them alone. My tank has some black phantom tetras, some fundulopanchax killifish and a pearl gourami.

What kind of shrimp are you thinking about? Your gourami may find the shrimp a tasty snack, or your shrimp may find your smaller fish tasty snacks..

Well my lfs has amano, tiger and red cherry. I was thinking of trying amano since they get bigger than the others they may not look as tempting to eat. My gourami never seems terribly interested in brine or blood worms. When I feed. He seems more inteerested in grazing on the plants

Back
Top Bottom