good clean up crew!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

am3ience

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, it's me again, still with my 36g tank, heavily planted now! Current Stock:

5 cardinal tetras
3 honey gourami
2 rams
3 otocinclus
1 SAE

I was wondering if there were any good scavenger fish or invertebrate that you guys can recommend for me, for my tank, just incase I have any leftover food that sinks to the bottom. Also, should I add a few more otos? or do you think 3 is enough?

You could get a school of Cory catfish. They stay small around 2 inches and they do a good job of cleaning up the bottom of the tank.

Cory cats or Khuli loaches (assuming sand, do best in a large group) are both good options for your tank size :)

As for the otos, while they do prefer having a few buddies I wouldn't recommend adding any more on top of what you have. I'd worry about food shortages with that many algae eaters in that size tank. The number you have right now should be perfect for companionship without risking anyone going hungry.

+1 on the Cory cats. Also might be good to get a few more cardinals. They do better with a larger group (in my experience)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you have foreground plants that can be easily uprooted, I wouldn't get Cory Cats or Kuhli Loaches. If you don't have those types of plants, go for it. Some Nerite Snails and Amano Shrimp would be a good cleanup crew if you want something that wouldn't disturb plants or have a lower bioload.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Add more Otos. Mine loved Rapashy Gel Diets or I grow algae on smooth stones in my windowsill in a bowl of shallow water.

More Cardinals !

Cories are great. Try habrosus if you want little Cories. So cute ! I just saw you have Rams. Offer a few caves. The Rams may attack the Cories , but with lots of plants and places to hide you should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom