Good community fish for eating Guppy fry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grimlock3000

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am looking for something to eat the fry in my 10g tank. I left it up to the Guppies to eat the fry, but they are doing a very poor job of it. I tried underfeeding the tank, but the fry just end up eating algae which my Otos need.

I am worried about transferring a Columnaris infection from the 10g to the 26g tank. Seems like every few weeks, one fish in the 10g get the fuzzies and then dies in QT no matter what. I think the infection has finally gone away now though. I have not had a single Guppy ever show any signs of sickness, almost like they are immune to the infection...

My Cichlids are the smallest fish in my tank, and get timid when it comes to eating flake food. Not sure they are the best at eating fry, but I suppose that Tetra and Barbs may eat them, once I open they tank lid, they will attempt to eat anything that makes it way into the tank :)

What is HATL? Head and Tail light? They seem to be a larger variety of tetra.. And their apparent aggression in your experience might show them to be quite the fry eater. They definately require a protein diet in the quick readings I've done.

Yeah my Tetras are Head and Tail Light. The one in the 26g is almost 2 inches long, the other ones are about one inch long each. I originally wanted a school of 6 of them, and ended up with two tanks and all these other fish with one Tetra per tank :|

How worried do I have to be about my Guppy fry carrying an infection into the other tank? It has been two weeks since anything in the 10g has shown signs of Columnaris. The risk of infecting the 26g is why I was thinking about getting something to put in the 10g to eat the small fish.

Hmm, good question. I *think* one would be okay, but if you have the space, definitely get two. I had one live alone for a couple weeks because she had fin rot, and she seemed fine. She had an algae eater to keep her company.

I'm sure a dwarf gourami would be happy to oblige.... I'm pretty sure mine used to make quick work of my danio fry.

Othewise, you could think of selling the fry to ppl in your area as big fish/turtle food.

I have a gigantic hi-fin platy who lives alone in my community tank. He's been alone for at least a year and he's a happy little (big) monster.

I do not know why my fish just do not like to eat the fry. I have fry less than a week old swimming around in there like nothing. I fed the tank only three times all last week, and the Guppies still did not start eating the fry. The one Tetra in there is not interested either.

I could not find any good looking Platies around, how about a Dalmation Molly? Those look pretty decently sized, anyone know if Mollies will actively eat fry? I can always move the fish into my larger tank when it outgrows the 10.

Back
Top Bottom