Good filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dubs1281

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Your input is valuable to me. I have delt with this seller before and know she is great with her customers. Is this a good filter? Do I have to much gph? Coukd I go 320? I have a 55 gallon cichlid, with 13 fish. Heres the link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200-Gallon-...134797418?pt=Fish_Filters&hash=item4174f0926a

I definitely want a uv sterilizer, but can buy that separate if need be. I am on a short budget as im only 15, and had to quit my job because of school and athletics. If it is not sufficient, suggestions are appreciated unless they are fluval fx-5 or there master filtration kit. Try to keep in under 100 dollars. Ive heard either amazing things or awful things of this filter.

This looks like a sun sun filter if I'm not mistaken. They were brought to my attention today while looking for a canister for my 10g. Ive heard some good things about them but as for that particular version I have no idea.

Looking at the design I would say that the UV sterilizer in that filter is next to useless. Water needs a fair amount of exposure time to a UV bulb to be sterilized and I doubt that this would provide that.

Is there a reason you are wanting both a canister filter and UV sterilizer?

Both are useful but quite unnecessary, especially when on a budget.

On a budget, is say a AC 110 is what you want. I have crystal clear water and healthy fish with a 19 year old filter I don't know the name of.

This looks like a sun sun filter if I'm not mistaken. They were brought to my attention today while looking for a canister for my 10g. Ive heard some good things about them but as for that particular version I have no idea.

Looking at the design I would say that the UV sterilizer in that filter is next to useless. Water needs a fair amount of exposure time to a UV bulb to be sterilized and I doubt that this would provide that.

Is there a reason you are wanting both a canister filter and UV sterilizer?

Both are useful but quite unnecessary, especially when on a budget.

My water is smelly and cloudy from bacteria. And my hang on filter shuts off randomly. I also want a canister because of the customization with the media. I have an overstocked tank.

My water is smelly and cloudy from bacteria. And my hang on filter shuts off randomly. I also want a canister because of the customization with the media. I have an overstocked tank.

How long has the tank been set up?

Well, then un-stock it a bit. And the AC's are REALLY good about customizable media, look it up. I'd buy one if I could, but I have a filter I call Ol'Reliable that is 19 years old and works like a brand new filter.

Then your.....overfeeding.....overstocking....not doing enough waterchanges.....lacking in "good" bacteria....feeding human food like egg youlk or liver or salmon is never a good idea....do a big change, and buy a $6 bottle of stress zyme (good bacteria) and dose according to directions....adding more than reccomended doesent work it will just result in a "Good" bacteria bloom. In a couple weeks it can be straightened out.....believe it or not even without the filter you can keep a tank clean!

Then your.....overfeeding.....overstocking....not doing enough waterchanges.....lacking in "good" bacteria....feeding human food like egg youlk or liver or salmon is never a good idea....do a big change, and buy a $6 bottle of stress zyme (good bacteria) and dose according to directions....adding more than reccomended doesent work it will just result in a "Good" bacteria bloom. In a couple weeks it can be straightened out.....believe it or not even without the filter you can keep a tank clean!

I do about 20% water change every weekend, feed them twice a day, there diet consists of aqeon tropical granules and aqueon color enhancement flakes. And som tetra veggie cichild pellets. I only feed what they eat in two min. Plus I need to overstock because it's an African tank. I will try the stress zyme, but another reason I am buying a new filter is because mine keeps stopping. I take it apart, put it back together, and it works for two to three days again.

Ahh I see. What cichlids do you have? I have an overstocked cichlid tank myself :)

I would reduce the feedings to once a day and up the water changes to 50% weekly. A 20% change won't take much of the bad stuff out. As for the filter you could do just about anything that will push water but some are way better than others. For the budget minded the ac filters should work fine.

Penguin Bio-wheel filters are amazing. I have 2 (a 75 gallon and a 55 gallon) on my 55 gallon tank. LOVE them.

If you can afford $10 more Drfostersmith has a FilStar XP L for $110 on sale. That should be more than enough for what you need. I used a XP3, same filter but older model, on a 75g Peruvian puffer tank and it did the job for 4+ years.

If you like canister media then go with an aquaclear 110. They are big. You can have tons of media and they do 500gph. The filstar is around 200gph full of media

If you can afford $10 more Drfostersmith has a FilStar XP L for $110 on sale. That should be more than enough for what you need. I used a XP3, same filter but older model, on a 75g Peruvian puffer tank and it did the job for 4+ years.

I too have the xp3 only purchased 2 weeks ago, but it's amazing and super silent ,

I too have the xp3 only purchased 2 weeks ago, but it's amazing and super silent ,

Probably going to buy it if dimensions are right but can't find them anywhere. What are they. I only have an 11 inch space front and back.

9 1/2L x 8 1/2W x 17H here ya go

*Edit* here is a pic of all the xp
img_2618367_0_d9e5593eae4d30ef9281a82b86174522.png

Back
Top Bottom