good filter for 75 gallon tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yankeeslover

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm upgrading from my 30 gallon today. I currently have a aquaclear 70 that I'm gonna swap and use in the 75 gallon. My local pet store has aquaclear 70s and 50s and also the emperor 400. What would be good to supplement my aquaclear 70? Thanks.

An AC110, preferably two 110's but depending on your stock the 70 and the 110 will probably be fine.

I'd throw a canister on there..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I second the canister idea. They are much quieter and easy to deal with and you can run your Aquaclear 70 along with it for added filtration and until the new filter get BB built up.

Your Tank

I'm upgrading from my 30 gallon today. I currently have a aquaclear 70 that I'm gonna swap and use in the 75 gallon. My local pet store has aquaclear 70s and 50s and also the emperor 400. What would be good to supplement my aquaclear 70? Thanks.

Hello yank...

The AC 70 alone is enough for a 75 G. Provided you commit to changing half the tank water every week, your tank doesn't need any more filtration. The Hagen filters are one of the best HOBs and the chances of one crapping out is very remote. I've yet to replace one in 10 years in the "water keeping" hobby. So, save the $40 or $50 on filtration and get a few more fish.

B

The BB capacity of the AC70 should* be sufficient for that tank, but if you are looking to increase water circulation you could add a power head. If you want to add a canister, now would be a great time. I run a second filter with floss only to capture the stuff that gets stirred up during tank maintenance (tank does not get vacuumed).

*Should is the key word here because I don't know the stocking, feeding habits, and water change schedule of this tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would not run a single AC70 on a 75g. The AC70 is rated at 300gph, drop that by 1/3 when you add media. So assuming it's closer to 200gph you will only see a turnover rate of 2.6x. Ideally you want a turn over rate of at least 4x. I shoot for closer to 8-10x with my tanks.

*Should is the key word here because I don't know the stocking, feeding habits, and water change schedule of this tank.

^^ This is the key.

Shields up! I would run the Canister AND the AC 70 together permanently. As long as the fish are not blown away by the current, I would go for it. In my humble opinion, more filtration is better filtration. Again, let's not blow the fish around, but provide a little current. You can even dial down the flow of the AC 70 if need be.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkImageUploadedByTapatalk1420219130.496904.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1420219170.644824.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1420219195.462423.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1420219226.430125.jpg

Here are pictures of my tank running an AC70 and a canister. It is a work in progress as I am trying to carpet the substrate with DHG. I think I need a little red, but that's in the works.

Your Tank

Hello again yank...

If you've got the luxury of having "deep pockets", then by all means, go for a canister filter. They're supposedly better for larger tanks. Not as easy to service as an HOB though. One for your sized tank will set you back about $150.00. Toss in a power head too for another $40.00 or so. The HOB will do the same job as a canister for a third the cost and will do a sufficient job of aerating the tank water. The large, weekly water changes will maintain very good water conditions. You won't really need high end filtration, as long as you don't get lazy and join the "Water Change Slackers' Club" once the novelty of having the tank wears off.

B

OP - What stock do you currently have? That would be good to know.
You can get a SunSun canister for under $50 on Amazon.

They Sun Sun's are pretty good for money. They are not a filter that will last for years and years but they will do a great job for a couple. For a $50 investment it's worth it.

Back
Top Bottom