Good filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FrogFrenzy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I need a new filter for my 20. I need some suggestions on good, quiet filters that will keep my tank clean.

I like marine land penguin filters best. Aqua clear is okay but It can get a little pricy as you have to buy 3 different types of media.

Aquaclear 50 would be a nice choice.

I was going to suggest this one too lol. That's what I used on my 20 and it was perfect. If you get a filter like this, don't use the carbon (keep it for if you ever need it). Use the sponge on the bottom and some filter floss (polyester fiber fill from Walmart works good and will last you forever for like $6) then the bio max on top.

I like marine land penguin filters best. Aqua clear is okay but It can get a little pricy as you have to buy 3 different types of media.

The media is included. Typically you only need to use two of the three (omit the carbon). You can use the extra space to add a different type of media as needed. Unlike the marine land and other HOBs that use cartridges, you can use the same media (cartridges eventually get clogged even after repeated rinsing and fall apart). I've used both brands and prefer the AC series because you can customize the media and those generally run a bit quieter.

I've used both AC and marine land. Marine land is quiet. Marine land also has a ton of power. While AC's flow is usually bad only after two weeks. My marine land takes large cartridges. I bought a total of 8 for $7. That's less than a dollar a month.

Yeah, as Fresh mentioned the ACs are great because you can customize the media. I ditch the carbon and replace it with polyfill and more biomax. No need to buy silly cartridges of a particular size and worry about replacing them. The Fluval C series is also great, just a tad bit more expensive. Another option would be a canister like an Eheim a Fluval 206.

The flexible media options used by the AquaClear HOB series makes it much easier to transfer portions of media from one filter to another. This can be useful when seeding new filters. The cartridges and biowheel are limiting in this regard. Limiting but not impossible. In the Marineland filters I've used in the past, I was not sure if I trusted the biowheel to be as efficient as touted. What I would do is get some ceramic media (the one with the hole in it), string some fishing line through it to make essentially a small necklace and drop it in the area between the cartridge and the biowheel. The fishing line makes it easier to remove the ceramic media all at one time as opposed to removing the individual pieces. Once the BB become established on the ceramic media, it can be easily moved other filters as needed.

Eheim 2213. As quiet as you can get and allows extra space for additions to the filter like crushed coral or purigen.

Aquaclears are the best HOB I've used. I run an AC20 and an AC30 on my 20 gallon. A simpler option would be just the AC30 and a simple sponge filter.

I run 2 AC30s on my 20g and they work great. They hold a ton of media and are easy to clean.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom