Good Fish for Cycling a tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

5x5

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What is a good, hardy fish for cycling the tank? The LFS recommending using a few guppies, but that doesn't sound right to me. Especially since I have a fairly strong wet/dry filter that would probably blow them around the tank and suck them up.

5x5 said:
What is a good, hardy fish for cycling the tank? The LFS recommending using a few guppies, but that doesn't sound right to me. Especially since I have a fairly strong wet/dry filter that would probably blow them around the tank and suck them up.

Do a fishless cycle. It's much more humane. There are plenty of articles and threads devoted to the subject. I would link it to you if I wasn't on the app.

5x5 said:

IMO a fishless cycle would be better. But if u insist IME black skirt tetras are a hardy fish.

Fishman13 said:
IMO a fishless cycle would be better. But if u insist IME black skirt tetras are a hardy fish.

The fish in cycle comes with daily water changes and testing. It also hurts the fishes' gills, etc. It may not kill the fish, but it does hurt them and shorten their life.

Are you going to do live plants? If so, you can do a "silent cycle".

As for a fish-in cycle, if you're diligent and don't mind the maintenance, there's a pretty big spread of fish that you can use. What fish do you ultimately want in the tank? It's entirely possible that with a lot of maintenance and diligence you can cycle the tank with them (unless they are one of the sensitive types) and see minimal losses if any. For me, this entailed about two weeks of daily 50-75% water changes, lots of Prime (for treating water and detoxing ammonia/nitrite), aquarium salt and some "bottled bacteria" I tried for the heck of it (no idea if that actually helped).

Something you could do to make things easier is find filter stuff from an established tank and put it in yours. That makes things quite a bit faster and less stressful.

Thanks for all the help. I found a great tutorial on fishless cycling on this site and will use that.

5x5 said:
Thanks for all the help. I found a great tutorial on fishless cycling on this site and will use that.

Yay!! Another fishless cycle turnee! Thanks for deciding to do that. Feel free to ask any other questions you have. Someone will answer. ;)

Hellyah!!! Fishless is the way to go. I'm doing a Fishless for a BW tank to get it ready for a puffer for my gf. Fishless is more humane, and cheaper too.

Back
Top Bottom