Good floating plants for a honey gourami?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ellenquacker72

Aquarium Advice Freak
Preferably low light, though I suppose it doesn't matter as much seeing as they're floating, but anyways, I have 30w over a 20g, so low is necessary. I like the look of anubias, And I've heard some people consider it a floating plant, I've also heard hornwort And watsprite (which petsmart doesn't carry). Is one of these better than the other for gouramis?

You can float water sprite or anacharis, both are lowlight. Duckweed could work but I don't know if I'd recommend it, heard it grows like crazy and you won't have any other light for the plants under the water. Also heard that red root floater and water lettuce are good options.

water lettuce is pretty demanding and really requires some decent light. It dies if I try to keep it under t8's, but does well under t5ho's. It stays small in the aquarium but I noticed that if I leave it outside in partial sunlight it grows very large.

I've had the same issues trying to grow salvinia minima under t8's as well.

Anubias is not a floating plant, but since it's a rhizome plant it doesn't have to be buried in the substrate.

As mentioned already, hornwort and anacharis are good. Duckweed is one of the best if the objective is to create a still area because it seems to create dead spots on the water surface when it is thick.

if you can get water lettuce in it's dwarf variant, it does fairly well. I have it in a quite a few lower light tanks and it's flourished. red root floater WILL work sometimes, it just really doesn't get red. sometimes will get a pink hue but that's about it.

Ive seen duckweed in YouTube videos and it looks really good... But I don't know where I'd get it :( so I might try hornwort since it's always at petsmart whenever I go. And maybe il get some anubias for fun :)

im not shure if i have water letus or water sprite but i thinned it out yesterday and some of the pieces wer about 8-10" across and i only have a floresent bulb.... but frogbite, water sprite, asian watergrass are all good for them the duck weed realy doesnt the long roots that they like to hide and make nests in

duckweed is the bane of most fish keepers. it's small and once you have it, you'll ALWAYS have it and it will probably spread to every single tank you have whether you want it in there or not.
AquaBid.com - Your Aquatic Auction Website
this is a link to a seller on aquabid from canada
she currently has a couple auctions for plants. I've never personally dealt with her but i know it's probably easier to buy from someone in canada than to try and do the 'shipping across country lines' deal
hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom