Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-15-2004, 04:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to SaltwaterDreams Send a message via Yahoo to SaltwaterDreams
good hidding places..

Hello,

In my semi-planted 20gal I have 3 bronze cories that are a bit skiddish for whatever reason. To help coap with the problem I have one of those fake tree stump looking caves that they hide in. However, I am about to change the tank a bit, removing the UGF and trying some new plants. At the moment I have a pennywort that is covering the surface bnicely along side some other plants that hang against the waters surface but I really have no plants that hug the bottom/middle of the tank.

Does anyone have any suggestions about any plants that are small and good cover for fish?

1 Sunset Gourmi
20 Assorted Corys
5 White Cloud Minnows
2 Dwarf frogs
2 Clown Loaches
2 plecos, 1 clown 1 rubber lip
SaltwaterDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 07:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Pennywort can also be used as an in-substrate plant. Just detach a couple of them an plant two of them together in the substrate. They will grow nicely up to the surface.
Any of the stem plants can be kept short and used as hiding places for your Corys., but my guess is that they will adapt to you and your tank and will start to be less skiddish after a while.

Len

'Life Is Difficult' - M. Scott Peck
The Road Less Traveled
djlen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 12:16 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to shawmutt
How about crypts?
Old 08-16-2004, 12:54 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm sure someone out there has some good plant suggestions but depending on the types of plants they have in mind they will probably ask you about your lighting... A lot of the bunch plants like hornwort can be planted in the gravel... Personally, because I'm cheap, I buy those bulbs at walmart and just drop a bunch in. They're not the most spectacular plant but they're not bad and some of them flower which can be quite interesting. A nice bunch of java moss could be dropped in or something... My otos favorite place to hide is where I have a piece of driftwood leaning over onto a coconut shell... Seems like just a little bit of shadow here and there makes them feel comfortable...
Old 08-16-2004, 03:25 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to SaltwaterDreams Send a message via Yahoo to SaltwaterDreams
Thanks for the replies everyone.
You know I have read where you can coax the pennywort to grow horizontal rather than completely vertical. I think I may try that actually, if i can remember how...

I am hoping my cories come out of the skiddish behaviour but I am begining to seriously doubt it. They do love that cave thing that I have, however my problem is that, I love watching my cories, but they simply will not come out from hiding. One of the three has has not been seen for a week.

I am taking out my UGF 100% sure, and I will put my cave thing back into the tank when I am finished, but I was really hoping to find a good small plant that may coax my cories out of hiding. I was pondering java moss but it seems quite messy though.

As for my lighting, It is only around 15 watts for a 20 gal. Very low.. I know.. and it limits my possibilities by a lot as well. But my pennywort is doing awesome in the lighting conditions as well as the other surface reaching plants I have, so if i would find any type plant good for my cories, that might do all right, I will give it a shot. Some people have good luck with moderate light plants in low light.. so what the heck. I need some ground cover!
1 Sunset Gourmi
20 Assorted Corys
5 White Cloud Minnows
2 Dwarf frogs
2 Clown Loaches
2 plecos, 1 clown 1 rubber lip
SaltwaterDreams is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com