Good idea or a bad one? filters + new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmdavies

Aquarium Advice FINatic
hello ive come up with an idea which i think may work just wanted to put it to you guys.
I am upgrading my 60 litre tank to a 240 litre tank to house my three common goldfish and a butterfly pleco.
For my new tank i will have a fluval fx5 filter.
When i change tank if i take all of my stuff out of the old tank put it in the new one it will have a head start with the bacteria also if i have both of my filters set up on it (marina slim filter + fluval fx5) The plan is that the old tank deco and the old filter with an established bacteria colony will look after the water for a couple of weeks while my new filter establishes its bacteria.
will this work?

hello ive come up with an idea which i think may work just wanted to put it to you guys.
I am upgrading my 60 litre tank to a 240 litre tank to house my three common goldfish and a butterfly pleco.
For my new tank i will have a fluval fx5 filter.
When i change tank if i take all of my stuff out of the old tank put it in the new one it will have a head start with the bacteria also if i have both of my filters set up on it (marina slim filter + fluval fx5) The plan is that the old tank deco and the old filter with an established bacteria colony will look after the water for a couple of weeks while my new filter establishes its bacteria.
will this work?

Yes,the moving of decor and running both filters for a few weeks on the new larger tank, would give bacteria big boost and could possibly allow the fish to be moved same day as filter from old tank.
Would feed sparingly for a while as well, until the FX5 has sufficient bacteria population.Three weeks minimum in my opinion before removing the old filter from operation in the new larger tank.

So in theory i will be able to transfer the fish on the same day? does anyone know any potential problems with this? Reasons not to?

I did a direct day move when I upgraded to my 125g. I moved over everything and then added the fish. I didn't move the filter though, I just pulled the media out of my fluval 305 and added it to my fluval fx5 along with some new media since the fx5 is so HUGE LOL

Good luck! Show us some pictures when your're done!

tmdavies said:
So in theory i will be able to transfer the fish on the same day? does anyone know any potential problems with this? Reasons not to?

I also upgrade from a 26g to a 100g moving my old filter and decorations, plus added a new filter, I moved the fish the same day, so far no issues.

I did a direct day move when I upgraded to my 125g. I moved over everything and then added the fish. I didn't move the filter though, I just pulled the media out of my fluval 305 and added it to my fluval fx5 along with some new media since the fx5 is so HUGE LOL

Good luck! Show us some pictures when your're done!

How big is the fx5 i havnt bought it yet. Is it loud?

It is beyond quiet, I constantly check to make sure it's pumping. lol

I'm kinda short but the filter comes up almost to my knees. :-D
It looks like a small garbage can pretty much. It's such a great filter though, you'll never need another most likely.

It is beyond quiet, I constantly check to make sure it's pumping. lol

I'm kinda short but the filter comes up almost to my knees. :-D
It looks like a small garbage can pretty much. It's such a great filter though, you'll never need another most likely.

This is a review from amazon for the fx5

its a brilliant filter but could possible be a lot quieter. i have it in a 100 gallon tank thats full of american cichlids and the water is spotless. but as i said if it was a little less noisy it would be better.

i will get it anyway tho, just in two minds

Back
Top Bottom