Good Pleco/other algea eater for 20 Gal.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Psyhampster

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm thinking about getting a pleco, or some other fish that eats algea, for my 20 gallon, whihc has a bit of an algea problem. First it was some diatoms, but that went away, and now it is just the green stuff. I've tried limiting feeding and light, but it dosen't go away. I'm thinking a Bristlenose Pleco, but I'm open to suggestions.

Hamp...where the heck have you been?

If you're interested in bristlenose's, they are a wonderful addition to your tank. I happen to have 5 babies (about two months old) and they are really active and very playful.

I use an in-tank UV sterilizer to eliminate my algae. That way, I don't have to invest on a whack of Ottos to do the cleaning. But, I do have a Bristlenose, and quite happy with him. :)

Protege said:
I use an in-tank UV sterilizer to eliminate my algae. That way, I don't have to invest on a whack of Ottos to do the cleaning. But, I do have a Bristlenose, and quite happy with him. :)

Whole whack? I have one Pleco and I have NOT ONCE seen a single spec of algae ANYWHERE in my aquairium since he was introduced.

Alqea fears Plecos :p

Joe

PS: They are really cute too!
Like when buying any fish, I suggest you do some reading up on the species before I made a decision.

AquaJoe said:
Whole whack? I have one Pleco and I have NOT ONCE seen a single spec of algae ANYWHERE in my aquairium since he was introduced.

Alqea fears Plecos :p

Joe

PS: They are really cute too!
Like when buying any fish, I suggest you do some reading up on the species before I made a decision.

It depends on the setup and what you want in the tank. My first tank was setup for a Royal Pl3co and that was that. We all know that Royals are not good Algae cleaners, hence I bought a "whack" of Ottos (this was before I thought of using UV). Today, my tank is setup for Discus, and I wanted to keep a small Pl3co, hence I bought a Bristlenose. But, it's not the Bristlenose that's keeping my tank clean, it's my UV sterilizer.

AquaJoe said:

I always do! :wink:

="Jchillin"]Hamp...where the heck have you been?

Oh, around... Kinda lost my fanaticism for fish, but was reading through the lastest newsletter, and got inspired, I guess.[/quote]

Dont get a bumblebee dwarf pleco!!! there useless!!!

Mine is so lazy, he relies on me dropping pellets in for food, then just goes back to his fave place and sits.

Back
Top Bottom