Good Priceing for a Freshwater Fish Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wolffish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was at my other pet store when i saw a 55 gallon tank with the stand and a started kit. It was the kind of stand where it could hold another tank at the bottem. So it was $150.00 and i was thinking about getting it for my new freshwater tank. Do you think it is a good buy? I thought it was a good buy because in petco i saw a 30 gallon tank with a started kit, without a stand for just as much.

I don't know the particulars of it but it sounds like a great deal. That sounds like a lot of the deals you find on craigslist. What are all the things it comes with?

In the started kit? I think their was a filter, a heater, the cover, a light, water condisiner, fish flake food. I know it was the same comany that made the starter kit i got so if you buy it you will proably get a reciet that says you get 30 to 40 dollers in free fish.

Yeah i know but since i am under the age of 14 and living with mah parents (duh) my mom dose not want another fish tank but i am still bugging her about it and i am not giving up so easily especially when my dad loves fish tanks so i have his help too.

$150 for a NEW 55 gal tank by itself is the going rate. With a stand, filter, heater... quite a good deal!!

the only thing i dont like about that setup is the metal stand (since you said it would hold one underneath)... The filters that come in those kits arent really great either, since theyre barely rated for the size tank they come with and as we all know, thats never enough. But for that price new, i would get it, then add to it with another filter, and maybe a nicer stand down the road...

Ok but right now i dont care about the prettyness of the stand i just want the tank for the sake of haveing fish. And i also plan on getting another tank on the bottem.

Was it at PetSmart? I saw the same kit there, for the same price, and it was the Top Fin brand, which also makes Aqueon, and I think the stuff that comes in it (filter), besides food, is really good!

i hate kits because i am very particular for the equipment i use. as for the price i shop on craigslist while its not new most often most of the time i can find tanks on the cheap there.

I think you got a good deal there. Yeah craigslist can get you better deals, but if you can't find what you want a kit is the way to go. I prefer to get a kit because at least with some you get the main parts, tank, lights, canopy, sometimes even the stand. You can build from there.

Yeah so i think i am going to get it. I am still persuading my mom but if all goes well i will probably have it, and get it up and running by the end of the year.

Some tanks can be super expensive. My 17 gallon one cost £69 which itself is pricey, but I've seen similar sized ones on sale for over £150 with nothing much different about them.

Back
Top Bottom