Good Safe Way to Raise Ph?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acewiza

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I never had or "seem" to have had any Ph issues I know of, so I don't know what possessed me to get some test strips. 2 Different kinds. Bored, I guess. :facepalm:

Anyway, the tests are saying my Ph is low around 6, on the acidic side. Any suggestions?

TIA

Crushed coral in the filter is a more long term, stable approach.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Cool. That's what I was thinking, but it's been a long time since chemistry class. Any idea on the amount needed to raise 200gal 1 point?

If you never had any pH problems before, I would get a liquid test kit and verify the test strip results. I had the test strips for a short time when cycling my tank (much quicker to get an idea of levels), and they showed my pH around 6.6 or 6.4, but when I switched to liquid tests my pH repeatedly showed stable levels of 7.2-7.3

In the past I have added baking soda to increase my carbonate hardness (tap water here is less than 2 degrees kH), and it increased my pH. I just make sure that the pH is stable before/during/after partial water changes so there aren't any changes. I just wouldn't add it to the tank...if that is how you proceed add it to the water you are putting in your tank after a partial water change. Too much of an opportunity for disaster to add to your tank direct.

Stable water parameters are more important than a correct ph. Most fish are pretty tolerant. Using baking soda will cause big ph swings when you do water changes.

I never tested my ph on a regular basis and found that the water in my 150 gallon was always a bit hazy. Upon testing it, I found the my ph was very acidic (probably due to all the driftwood). I put some crushed coral in my canister, took out some of the driftwood, and the ph stabilized. The water also cleared up. I theorize that the low ph was affecting the beneficial bacteria in the filter.

Another good way to raise ph is adding limestone or Texas holey rock.

Ah yes - the wood. I used 2 large pieces of driftwood when I first built this tank last October. I never liked the idea of adding chems, even baking soda. Too easy to get it wrong. Guess I'll go looking for some limestone and add crushed coral to the filter next time around.

Thanks guys!! :)

Back
Top Bottom