Good schoolimg freshwater fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishguy1997

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys! I'm looking for some good schooling colorful fish for a 55 gallon fish tank. Any advice? Thanks!

Neon tetras. They are some of the best schooling fish. I'd say no less than 5 but ideally, at least 8

Wow. There are so many out there. Here are a few of my favorites:

Cardinal Tetras
Rummynose Tetras
Threadfin Rainbowfish
Emperor Tetras
Harlequin Rasbora
Bosemani Rainbowfish

Furcata Rainbows are really nice but are ridiculously expensive lately. I bought a school a year ago for $2.50 each and now they are $14.95 each where I'm at. But if you can find them cheap, they are beautiful fish.

Furcata Rainbows are really nice but are ridiculously expensive lately. I bought a school a year ago for $2.50 each and now they are $14.95 each where I'm at. But if you can find them cheap, they are beautiful fish.

Wow those furcata rainbows are amazing looking! And thanks everyone else! I really appreciate it! Does anyone else have other ideas?

Cherry barbs are awesome! I love my little guys. I've got 15 neons in the 55 as well and think I'll boost that up to 20. They don't school as much as I would like. Lfs feels they school better at 20 min.

Cherry barbs are awesome! I love my little guys. I've got 15 neons in the 55 as well and think I'll boost that up to 20. They don't school as much as I would like. Lfs feels they school better at 20 min.

Neons do look far more impressive in huge schools, but I don't think it's truly necessary. 8 or so is fine.

My rummynose tetras are super tight schoolers. Their nose will tell you if something's wrong with the water: a red nose means the water is to their liking and a pale nose means the opposite. There are three varieties with one being the most common: H. bleheri. I will say, though, they don't ship well, so look for them locally. And even then, half the battle is getting them home alive and having them survive the first 72 hours. If you can get past the first 3 days, you're good to go

David

While 8 would be fine, my experience is they don't school well and spend more time away from each other. Personaly I like it better when they hang out together. And yeah they did get lost in the 55 when I had only 7.

IMO, 8 neons would be lost In a 55 gallon. I personally would add more than that

Edit: check out Denison barbs

While 8 would be fine, my experience is they don't school well and spend more time away from each other. Personaly I like it better when they hang out together. And yeah they did get lost in the 55 when I had only 7.

What Do you Guys mean by getting lost?

They are so tiny they just don't show as well in the bigger tank. Tend to swim alone rather then school so you loose the mass beauty that is a school.

I'd say Rummy Nose Tetra. I currently have 7 (im gonna up it to 10 or 12 when my LFS gets more) in my 45 long, and they are by far my FAVORITE FISH YET! They school tightly 97% of the time, and they seem like hyper little buggers as they constantly dart from one end of the tank to other during the day. Very fun to watch.

I have glolight tetras. Once in awhile I have to split a pair of my rams, when I do it gets put in the glolights tank. They school really tight when a "predator" type fish is around.
Imo glolights are overlooked. I have 14 of them and their neon orange stripe with white borders on their fins will rival any neon or cardinal tetras. Of course I do have a biased opinion though lol. >=))))(°>

I have long fin zebra danios as well, they, in my tank, tend to stay toward the top of the tank. And also school with the rummy noses occasionally. They are very VERY active little fish, and its the same with leopard danios.

Bloodfin tetras are another good schooling fish. When their sacred or nervous they'll school tighter that rummynose tetras. Are their really hardy, I have 11 of them in my 55 gallon.

Bloodfin tetras are another good schooling fish. When their sacred or nervous they'll school tighter that rummynose tetras. Are their really hardy, I have 11 of them in my 55 gallon.

Thanks I'm going to the fish store tommorow to look @ fish

Neon tetras and/or some type of barbs. I have tiger barbs and they're very entertaining, but sometimes nippy.

Back
Top Bottom