Good setup for a Betta....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hb3133

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am thinking about purchasing a single male betta and would like some input concerning size of aquarium, brand name filter system, etc.... This fish would be located in the kitchen so a small size aquarium would be ideal. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've kept bettas for several years.

my suggestion is at least a 1 gal aquarium. No filter is needed since they are weak swimmers and perfer still water. Just do weekly water changes with them.

Just make sure the water will stay warm, ideal is around 75-78* since they like warmer temperatures.

you can divide up a 2.5 gal aquarium and get two bettas, put one on either side.

I had a single betta in a 2.5 gallon and felt strongly that it was too small for him. They do like to swim, and while you can keep them in small tanks, I think a 5-gallon or larger is a good idea just for the quality of life he will have.

My betta loves my 55-gallon community tank. He likes to swim around looking at things, and he flares at the other fishes once in a while (they are all peaceful, and there has been absolutely no aggression). Bettas have incredible personality, and they are interested in what goes on around them. Mine also really seems to enjoy swimming the length of the 55-gallon. Personally, I would never put one in less than a five or 10-gallon again.

i would suggest you get at least a 3 gallon eclpise type tank (That way the filtration is included). If you try anything smaller it is harder to maintain a steady temperature and have any sort of filtration.

Yeah a beta can live in a small bowl without heat or filtration but it is much easier to cycle a tank that you can filter. and they thrive in a steady temp of at least 75.

While a betta can be kept in smaller containers, you won't be able to appreciate their full beauty unless you get them in a larger tank. In larger tanks they spend more time exploring and will really spread out their fins. I would say at least a 2.5 Gal, but bigger is better. Also, while some bettas don't care for the current created by the filter, many will actually play in the current once they get used to it.

Thanks for all the great advice and helpful information. I was also thinking about possibly adding a male betta to my community tank which currently has 4 harlequin rasboras, 5 black neon tetras and 3 bronze corydoras. The tank is 20 gallons but I was worried about current from the aquaclear HOB filter. Anyone have experience with Bettas in a community tank?

I had my two bettas in a 1 gal. tank. Mine lived for a long time!!!! CAUTION: DO NOT USE PLASTIC PLANTS!!! these ripped my bettas fins!! they would never grow back!!! Use silk or live instead:)

I keep all my bettas in a tanks with UGF or HOB filters. I provide caves which they readily use.... They do great and have never had an issue with the filters...I guess if they were heavily or over sized that mightbe different.

I have a bad habit of rescuing them from the LFS so we have them in small hex tanks etc.. but they are planted, filtered, lights and they seem happy... they are even used as book ends in the kids rooms and night lights LOL... but bigger is better for tank size I agree... I just am limited where to put 100 big tanks LOL

For my kitchen I have a 7.5 g mini bow from walmart and it has the internal filter, like a HOB , but inside... you can easily adjust the flow high to low.... I have natural gravel in the bottom, rock caves, and live plants - I swapped the light for a small 11w PC and it's great in the kitchen- fits perfect :)

Kmart has a GREAT 5g slim line sleek looking tank ...29.99! :)

I have a betta at work in a 2.5 gal - I have to change the water twice a week, and use a thermometer to get the replacement water temp right. I really wouldn't suggest anything smaller than this - a 3 - 6 gal tank would be much easier to maintain.

Bettas need a stable temperature of 76 - 78o F. Small tanks are hard to heat and maintain stable temps.

A sponge filter or corner filter hooked up to an airpump will work best. Bettas don't like strong currents generated by HOB filters.

Bettas appreciate a bit of cover. Plastic plants are out because they shred the fins. I've found that a big clump of live Java moss makes a nice bed/place to hide under.

I have 4 male bettas in the houes . . . .3 of them are each in their own 2.5 gallon tanks (each one of my 3 kids has one) . . . the 4th lives in my 55 Gal with a bunch of other tankmates. Of the 4, the one in the 55 Gal is definately the most active and has the most personality. He explores every inch of the 55 Gal, top to bottom and side to side, and for a home he shares a small cave with a Clown Loach. Its hilarious to see the two of them side by side peeking out the door of the cave watching everyone else go by.

LOL at the betta and the clown loach roomies. are they named oscar and felix? :)

how bettas do in a community tank really depends on the betta. i have never had a problem in my 55-gallon. i did have a problem with one particular betta that i tried to keep in a 10-gallon with some neons once. he chased them and bit off the tail of one of the neons. i think the space was just too close for them to coexist peacefully, and he was a pugnacious little guy.

i know someone who had a dwarf gourami attack and kill a betta in a community tank. i don't remember what size the tank was. i have always had gouramis in my 55-gal with my male betta and have never had a problem. in general, it is good if the tank is bigger and has hiding spaces. however, the personality of the betta (and the personalities of your other fish) will be the ultimate determining factors.

people often say that bettas are more likely to attack other fish with flowy fins like their own--for example, i have seen people warn here not to mix male bettas with fancy guppies. however, i have kept them together in the 55 with no problem. again, it depends on the betta and the tank.

it is always a good idea to have another tank handy just in case there is a problem.

Actually the betta is named "Sid" and the loach is named "Frank" (short for Frankenloach) . . . .

I have a Dwarf Gourami in the tank and they pay very little attention to each other. I got lucky in that I got a very interesting collection of personalities in my 55 Gal. It seems they are ALL quite independant and none of them has a problem making his or her opinion known. If one fish is going to pick on another, it is just as likely that the one previously picked on will be the "picker" next time around rather than the "pickee". They all seem to even out at some point.

Its weird, sometimes there will be 5 of them (one time it was the Dwarf Gourami, the Betta, the Clown Loach, the Pictus Cat and the Bala Shark) all playing together in a column of air bubbles from a buried airstone. There doesn't seem to be any segregation in there. They all just get along, or occasionally you'll see a little snit like you would see between brothers. The Dwarf Gourami and the Angel are the worst two. One minute the gourami will have the Angel in a tizzy chasing him all over the tank . . . .a few minutes later, the angel has the gourami on the run.

All in all, they're a riot and I haven't had a serious personality conflict since I took 2 German Blue Rams back to the store about a month ago. They hated everybody. Musta been Nazi Germans.

i have 1 of my bettas in a 10 gal (heated and hob filter) with some juvi guppies and he's quite happy, but when i tried to put the other one in there (taking out the first male of course) he went right after the guppies... so be careful what your put yours with until you know the individual personality of the fish.

the other two are in individual 1-gallon tanks with no filter or heater or anything, just weekly water changes. everybody seems to be happy and thriving, so i'm okay with the current setup.

Your pictus cracks me up. I'm going to buy a low light bulb and see if mine comes out more. For me to watch him play, I have to turn the light off in the day. He stays the cave otherwise and runs anyone who comes near him. The barbs will take a peek inside as if to say hi and he taps them away. They always come back for more. They don't care.

Pete the Pictus has definately added character to our tank. I've got more entertainment out of that $5 fish than I get from 50 $8 movie tickets. The family crowds around the tank just to watch him at feeding time. He's really off the wall then, then the Betta's funny because he'll be trying to eat and Pete's spaz will disrupt him and he'll turn at flare at him and then just turn back to eating.

Back
Top Bottom