Good tank for breeding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jvermisch

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 6.6 gallon tank with a filter and a heater in it. There are many plants and a rock decoration. I have 2 female and 1 male balloon mollies. Does this sound ok to breed in? Once the fry are born I am planning on moving them to another tank. :confused:

I think you will find most hobbyists have an aversion to balloon mollies. They have been bred to have a short bodied deformity and balloon shape, and often have swimming problems and die prematurely.

That being said, mollies have large bio-loads, and are generally considered suitable for 29 gals and up. The ballon mollies do stay smaller, but still would need atleast a 20 gallon. I'm not sure if you mean move the adults or move the babies? Adult mollies definitely could not live in a 6.6 gallon tank..most fish can't for that matter. The only suitable options for a tank of that size are bettas, nano fish such as micro rasbora, african dwarf frogs, shrimp, and snails. Or as a short term solution to grow out fry, it is fine.

Yikes. Are you using a freshwater master test kit? What are your water parameters? I can't imagine the bio-load of several mollies in a tank that size. They create a lot of waste. As I said, though 29 gals is usually the standard for mollies, I think the ballons would be fine in a 20 since they stay shorter due to their deformities, but there is just no way fish like that can thrive in a tank that small. Maybe it's time for you to start a bigger tank ;) If that isn't in the cards for you, I would see about trading them in at the lfs or finding them a new home and getting some fish more suitable to the tank. Besides, unfortunately for them, and you, the balloon mollies usually don't live long.

yah I am planning on getting a 20 gallon tank. Know where I can get a cheap one?

Back
Top Bottom