Good tankmates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Polads

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I currently have a 55gal tank that is solely occupied by my senegal bichir. He is my favorite fish, but I feel like he deserves to have some friends.

I used to have him with a black ghost knife fish, but long story short my bichir thought his tail to be a very tasty treat.

So I have been thinking that a fish that enjoys the middle to the top of the tank would be a better companion not to mention one that isn't blind.

I was considering getting maybe some yellow labs, or else a couple spotted climbing perchs. Would either of these be ok? I have also thought about loaches, something like a skunk loach, but I never have seen them at any of the stores around here.

Ideas, suggestions?

Loaches will just hang around the bottom and may cause conflicts. I'm sure your bichir will be ridiculously territorial after having his own tank for a while. A decent sized pair of Angels may work well since they don't like hanging around the bottom, and get to be a decent size.

I thought about getting a pair of angels, but I am concerned their long fins will get nipped at... thats why i figured something faster moving and equally aggressive with tiny fins would be a better match.

i love my senegals too^^. ..

i'd suggest u with no loaches[might be snapped right away if ur tank's short of food], no angels[bichirs will surface at night time] and no arowanas[too big fr a 55 gal], i tried them already and didnt work at all. . ..dont know bout ur perch though... .

best one would be like ur good thinking first idea, some cichlids, blue cobalt or electric blue preferably[darker colours], plus they'll have to have bigger size than ur bichir's jaws. . .light coloured fish will easily be spotted[sight problem with most of bichirs]. ..i started with 2 senegals[5"each], 2 couples of yellow labs and cobalt blues[1.5" each]. . .the yellow ones were gone after a week. ..but the cobalt r still doing n looking great till now. . .

u should consut with lonebluewolf fr this problem. . .he's great in this. . .

source:http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/breeding/Gallo_Senegal_Bichir.html

I have kept Polypterus senegalus in an aquarium with other fish that are found in their native habitat. Some tank-mates that I have successfully kept with the Senegal Bichir include Ctenopoma species, the African Butterfly Fish (Pantodon buchholzi), Congo Tetras (Phenacogrammus interruptus), the African Mud Fish (Phractolaemus ansorgii), 'Kribensis' cichlids (Pelvicachromis species), African Knife Fish (Xenomystus nigri) and the African Spotted Catfish (Parauchenoglanis macrostoma).

Hope that might help! Senegals are really cool.

Back
Top Bottom