Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-28-2003, 12:07 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

good tankmates for betta

I'm starting a small (10 gallon) tank and I needed to know what are good tankmates for my betta? I was told that nonaggressive tetras (ie neon, rummy nose, etc) or cherry barbs would be good. Any help with fish that would go over well in such a small tank would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
*Nita*

Old 04-28-2003, 12:11 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
I would hesitate to add any kind of barbs with the betta. I think the small tetras would be fine though. Cory cats and/or otocinclus cats would be fine too IMO.
Logan J

Old 04-28-2003, 07:55 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I agree, the barbs would fin nip. I would go Tetras and Cory Cats. You could also get small danios or some of the smaller members of the loach family. The posibilities are pretty wide, just make sure they are small (and going to stay that way) and community fish. No fin nippers.
Old 05-04-2003, 12:20 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Any thing that wont nip to much, and nothing that looks like a betta(ie. no guppies). Female bettas are also good.
There was something else i was gonna say....but now i can't remember! lol, it will come to me

ashley
Old 05-06-2003, 04:27 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Electrobes
Betta cove is dead on about both no fin nippers, but more importantly nothing that look like bettas!! Guppies tend to look like a smaller betta, hence possible attacks. I don't really agree about the female bettas though... at first they may stand eachother, but should they possibly mate, the father or mother, or maybe both tend to get fustrated or just nuts and they start to fight each other!
Old 05-06-2003, 05:53 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

opps thats right! I probably should have said a group of females.

ashley
Old 05-07-2003, 12:11 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wow, is it true that male bettas can be placed in the same tank with tetras? But i thought male bettas are on the aggressive side?
Old 05-07-2003, 03:15 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to hisc1ay Send a message via Yahoo to hisc1ay
They're only agressive to fish they think are other male bettas. I think this is the most common misconception about them (that they will attack any other fish).

-j
Old 05-07-2003, 05:53 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Electrobes
yeah, a lot of people think that Male bettas will just about attack anything, the problem is that they are only territorial against themselves.. for mating purposes usually, on the other hand you get something like a green terror in your tank, they are aggressive about anyone in "their" territory, worse so in tanks. But as bettas go, its just themselves and look a likes

Tags
betta, tan, tankmate, tankmates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com