good tankmates for betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

magdelena_69

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm starting a small (10 gallon) tank and I needed to know what are good tankmates for my betta? I was told that nonaggressive tetras (ie neon, rummy nose, etc) or cherry barbs would be good. Any help with fish that would go over well in such a small tank would be greatly appreciated :)
Thanks
*Nita*

I would hesitate to add any kind of barbs with the betta. I think the small tetras would be fine though. Cory cats and/or otocinclus cats would be fine too IMO.
Logan J

I agree, the barbs would fin nip. I would go Tetras and Cory Cats. You could also get small danios or some of the smaller members of the loach family. The posibilities are pretty wide, just make sure they are small (and going to stay that way) and community fish. No fin nippers.

Any thing that wont nip to much, and nothing that looks like a betta(ie. no guppies). Female bettas are also good.
There was something else i was gonna say....but now i can't remember! lol, it will come to me

ashley

Betta cove is dead on about both no fin nippers, but more importantly nothing that look like bettas!! Guppies tend to look like a smaller betta, hence possible attacks. I don't really agree about the female bettas though... at first they may stand eachother, but should they possibly mate, the father or mother, or maybe both tend to get fustrated or just nuts and they start to fight each other! 0X

Wow, is it true that male bettas can be placed in the same tank with tetras? But i thought male bettas are on the aggressive side? :roll:

They're only agressive to fish they think are other male bettas. I think this is the most common misconception about them (that they will attack any other fish). :)

-j

yeah, a lot of people think that Male bettas will just about attack anything, the problem is that they are only territorial against themselves.. for mating purposes usually, on the other hand you get something like a green terror in your tank, they are aggressive about anyone in "their" territory, worse so in tanks. But as bettas go, its just themselves and look a likes :D

Back
Top Bottom