Got a couple of questions here...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rubysoho

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, the 55 gal tank I was suppose to buy from a dude hasn't happened yet because I never heard back from him... HOWEVER, today I dropped in the LFS and my favorite guy was working there, and he said he had a 55 gal tank to give me for FREE!! Woohoo!!! But it is just the tank, nothing else. Here are my questions:

1. The tank is dirty, used to be saltwater, what should I use to clean it? It is acrylic so it needs to be gentle in order to not scratch it.

2. What is a good filter to buy? I'm on a college student budget and don't have much to spend, but I don't want something crappy either. I've heard a bunch of brand names, but I don't know why or what makes them good. I plan on ordering online so they should be less expensive.

3. What lighting can I get that comes with a hood? Will I need a glass top or is there lighting that already has protection from water? I would like to grow plants so 2 wpg would be nice. More would be awesome.

Everything else I think I can take care of. Thanks guys!! This is the first time I've pieced together a system instead of buying a kit. I'm excited!!! (and I'm so happy about getting the free tank because now I can afford new parts instead of used!!)

1. Vinegar and water

2. I love the Via Aqua over the Fluval. Both are basically the same canister filters, but the VA is quieter (IMO), and it has handles. I found mine on eBay.

3. That's not my departement.

If you want a planted tank you'll want a glass canopy.

I know it might be a stretch on the budget but you're better off buying quality lighting the first time around. I bought mine from AH Supply and I couldn't be happier. Go to their website and either email or phone them. They'll be happy to work with you. :wink:

Does AH Supply sell premaid sets? I know absolutly nothing about making my own, and I'd rather not venture down that road without knowing at least a little something.

If you can use a drill and a screw driver you can do it. It's really very simple and fun to build the entire thing yourself. JMO. Finished power compacts are available but are very expensive for a 55g.

Well, I think I can use those tools. I've built decks, bridges, and shingled a roof, so I'm sure I can do that to. I just didn't want to end up spending money on something I didn't need in the first place and then realize I needed something else after I'm done.

Good points rubysoho. I built my own canopy for a 125 gal using AH Supply 6X55 brite light kit. It was really very simple and they'll send you the plans for the canopy. My only suggestion on that is to build it 1 inch taller and use the spacers they provide to keep the reflectors off the hood. Keeps things cooler.

Investing in good light now means you won't have to do it again later. :wink:

How many wpg are you shooting for?

I'm hopeing for 3 wpg. I dropped a post in the DIY forum asking for people to share their knowledge/advice. However, I'm still a little hesitant in building my own just because the two fish the tank is basically for prefer dim lighting and are very shy in anything bright. So my options are this:

1.Go with the bright lighting (3wpg) and suppliment with lots of caves and plants to make the area near the substrate (where the two sun catfish hang out most of the time) dimmer. However, I'll still need to figure out the whole CO2 system to prevent algea blooms (lots of research ahead, woohoo!!! this means I can spend more time studying my fish tanks instead of my class work... I love procrastination...)

or

2. Get a prepackaged 1.5 wpg (or if anything better comes my way like the free tank did!) and have lots of silk plants and caves and be able to see the two fish this tank is for because they (hopefully) won't need to hide so much.

I dunno, it is still up in the air. Can you tell I'm the typical indecisive girl? Hehe :mrgreen:

Be that as it may........ :mrgreen: Your decision is do you want the challenge fo water chemistry and lighting to grow a magnificent planted tank or........are you content with taking the easy way out? *LOL*

Rubysoho........you arent a hobbyist. You are an aquarist. Congrats.

Yes, the second option is the easy way out :wink: And I absolutely LOVE those planted tanks everyone displays on the website. So pretty, and I definitely think I could do one of my own. Sooooo... I think I'm leaning toward the higher watts... just waiting for my check to arrive in the mail from work. Two months' pay will be a nice hunk to throw into my tank... and to think, I should be spending it on clothing or alcohol. :roll: It's okay, all my friends still love me :mrgreen:

so, if I'm an aquarist, that makes you a "PhD fish dude," right? And yes, I just made up a new term :D

Back
Top Bottom