Got a new 5 gallon hex...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well im not saying you have to.. lol, its just a good way to keep the water quality good and help cut down on algae.

also crypts do good in low light.. i think the fern is pretty but i am finding the java moss less attractive, but then again i just got it and i have to wait and see what it looks like as it grows.

I have a hex 5 with some Cryptocoryne wendtii and some Cabomba under a 10W compact fluorescent bulb in a sand substrate. As far as fish go you could also look at some pygmy cories. They don't get very big (hence the name) and they are fun to watch.

I have an Anubias right now and it is thriving in a 5 gal hex with a 10 Watt bulb. There is also a Java Fern in there which isn't doing too hot. I prefer the Anubias.

If you are looking for corys, IMO the only ones that would work would be the pygmy corys. But I remember suggesting them for someone a while back and some people jumped all over me for it. :roll:

I agree with the pygmy suggestion. My cories are ones that never grew in the 55 gallon tank I had even though they had plenty of various foods. A friend of mine also got a few from the same batch and their's never grew much either so I think mine are just small because of genetics or whoever the breeder was didn't provide much care. One has a nuerological disorder (I think he goes into seizures because he starts running into objects almost blindly for 30 seconds at a time every few weeks) and had problems getting to the top of the 55 gallon tank for air (as cories often do). This is why I have my "regular" cories in the 5 gallon. But I would suggest pygmy or panda cories for everyone else.

Back
Top Bottom