Got a new light fixture today and I also noticed my sand is changing color.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

germanyt

Aquarium Advice Freak
I went to Petsmart and got the Aqueon T-8 strip light and the glass hood they make to go with it. It makes the tank look a lot nicer.

img_2467351_0_d4661bf674d470957a0df9f9cd1ccff9.jpg

I also mowed the lawn. Notice the scissors. I didn't notice it until today when I went to put the new light on but my sand around my hairgrass has turned a shade of brown. If you can't tell I have bleach white sand in the tank and it's still white everywhere but right around the grass. The pic isn't even that bad. I did a water changed and stirred the sand up a bit so it's not even as noticable now as it was but it's still pretty ugly. There is no green algae whatsoever in my tank but I was thinking maybe brown algae. Problem is that it's not anywhere else but the sand. Not one single spec on the glass.

img_2467351_1_797fac358694aa3d03b7a12795aa28f8.jpg

I was going to get another couple bunches of hairgrass but the store was out. I want to fill in the spots that aren't covered and thicken up the whole tank a bit. Also, I don't know if the light made the difference but suddenly my gourami and molly are darting around the tank after being pretty docile since I got them.

Oh and on a totally unrelated note here is the new filter I got for my 55 gallon to go with the Top Fin 75. I'm up to around 600 gph now.

img_2467351_2_a3ec2e6fdf5770bff2c669879152df16.jpg

Like the light, like the scape and like your choice in filter :)

Get we see some more tank photos.

If there's on thing I've got, it's pictures.

Old light I had on the 10 gallon.
img_2467392_0_3a78bf8833bf357a2d0089c06dfd9eb2.jpg

This was maybe a week ago at most and the brown sand wasn't there.
img_2467392_1_5aa60c6aa3879351ab940e1d4369baae.jpg

My CO2 on the 10 gallon.
img_2467392_2_639f629142a0ad613fb9ee4544d0ecfe.jpg

My 55 gallon as of now.
img_2467392_3_83e905893b448c7016a3831e2096e4e0.jpg

Thinking I might go back to this background. Not sure if I like the slate very much.
img_2467392_4_e998833ae0687ad59009a980abdb66da.jpg

Stand I built
img_2467392_5_171e96305e4330b96e4aff94c7ddf4b9.jpg

Thanks I appreciate that. Tell me though, which background? Slate or planted? The 10 gallon is staying as is unless I get a Top Fin Korean themed cling.

My honest opinion? Solid black or a frosted look. I don't like the backgrounds with stuff on them. It takes away front the tank. Just me though....

My honest opinion? Solid black or a frosted look. I don't like the backgrounds with stuff on them. It takes away front the tank. Just me though....

I wouldn't mind having the back lit up but I don't know how to make it look good.

Like this.
Aquascape of the Month: September 2008 "Pinheiro Manso" | AquaScaping World Forum

Maybe by mounting a long fluorescent light below the tank facing up behind it. I don't have bare wall behind my tank though. I have a huge bay window. I'd def switch to black sand too if I did that.

It's against forum rules to "bump" a thread. But... I'm curious to know why you did "bump" it. Thought you got your answers to the questions no?

It's against forum rules to "bump" a thread. But... I'm curious to know why you did "bump" it. Thought you got your answers to the questions no?

Didn't realize. And the thread is about the brown sand. I bumped it because it was on page two and being a member of numerous forums I know that few people browse past page one. I don't get why a bump would be against forums rules. I could just as easily make up a random post to bump it like 'Anyone have any thoughts on my brown sand?' That would be the same thing.

Just read the community rules on bumping. Whatever. If someone wants to ban me then ban me. To be honest I would have thought with so many knowledgeable people on this forum I wouldn't get to 67 views with no comments on something like a potential brown algae issue.

Didn't realize. And the thread is about the brown sand. I bumped it because it was on page two and being a member of numerous forums I know that few people browse past page one. I don't get why a bump would be against forums rules. I could just as easily make up a random post to bump it like 'Anyone have any thoughts on my brown sand?' That would be the same thing.

No biggie just letting you know the rules. No hard feelings. Anyway. Thought you were switching to black sand?

No biggie just letting you know the rules. No hard feelings. Anyway. Thought you were switching to black sand?

Not right away. If I were to get rid of my background and use a backlight I'd switch to black sand. But that's in my 55 gallon. My 10 gallon with the grass is the one with brown sand.

And no worries. It's just that I'm a member of dozens of forums and not once have I ever seen a rule against bumping.

Not right away. If I were to get rid of my background and use a backlight I'd switch to black sand. But that's in my 55 gallon. My 10 gallon with the grass is the one with brown sand.

And no worries. It's just that I'm a member of dozens of forums and not once have I ever seen a rule against bumping.

Ok so what's the question again?

Try a timer and do a siesta/light nap/break for the tank if you keep it on for a long span of time. I like about a 2 hour break at least and see if that doesn't help. also are you feeding any flake foods? Sometimes they cause a little water problem and can make the brown worst. Cut back some or change to a pelleted food if you are using it.

I was thinking the brown areas are diatoms blooming in response to the new light but for it to be only around the plants...hmmm, not so sure.

Try a timer and do a siesta/light nap/break for the tank if you keep it on for a long span of time. I like about a 2 hour break at least and see if that doesn't help. also are you feeding any flake foods? Sometimes they cause a little water problem and can make the brown worst. Cut back some or change to a pelleted food if you are using it.

I was keeping the incandescent on for 16-24 hours a day for the past couple weeks. It's only today that I noticed the brown though. I do use flake foods once per day. Just a little pinch. I also have pellets I can use on them.

I was thinking the brown areas are diatoms blooming in response to the new light but for it to be only around the plants...hmmm, not so sure.

Plus I only got the light today. It's odd. Half an inch away from the grass is white sand. The sand in and around it is brown about 1/8 to 1/4 inch deep. Some grains are more brown but it's def got a tan shade to it.

How long has your tank been set up and running? What are your water test results? what is your light schedule?

If its a fairly new tank setup then the brown is probably diatomes. The best thing is to remove any decor it get on and clean in tank water outside of the tank. For the sand do your best to vacuum it out without stirring it up. It will eventually go away after a few months but it will go away faster if you can get what grows out of the tank. Decreasing the amount of time you have the light will slow growth. Increased filter flow may also slow growth

Just try out the siesta period! lol How long was your light staying on before you put on the new one?

The new light and the brown sand aren't specific to one problem especially since you just got it. It is a common occurrence, I started to get it when I put in white construction sand and then used the siesta period and it never developed into full blown patches.

Its your tank do with it what you like.

How long has your tank been set up and running? What are your water test results? what is your light schedule?

If its a fairly new tank setup then the brown is probably diatomes. The best thing is to remove any decor it get on and clean in tank water outside of the tank. For the sand do your best to vacuum it out without stirring it up. It will eventually go away after a few months but it will go away faster if you can get what grows out of the tank. Decreasing the amount of time you have the light will slow growth. Increased filter flow may also slow growth

The tank has only been set up for 3 weeks but I used sand, water, and a filter from my 55 gallon. Ammonia is 0, nitrite is 0, nitrate is 5, 7.2 ph, and slightly soft water. Until today I had the light on for as much as 24 hours some days. It was a 2700K incandescent. I put the 8000K on it about 10 hours ago.

I did a 60% water change and vacuum today. It didn't look like any of the brown came up with the vacuum.

Back
Top Bottom