Got my dwarf puffer today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wildroseofky

Aquarium Advice Addict
I picked up my baby dwarf puffer today. So excited. Now I need a feeding question answered. How do I feed him/her? I know to feed bloodworms, earthworms, and snails. I tried feeding some blood worms, freeze dried kind, with some tongs. The puffer just rolled its eyes, went over to the drift wood, and ate a baby ramshorn snail. He did come back and pick at one of the blood worms that was floating around. I waited a couple more hours and dropped a baby earthworm in the tank but he didn't even look at it. I left the worm in there for 20 minutes and then took it out. The puffer was cruising the water lettuce like it was hunting so I set the worm on top of the water lettuce. I just checked and it is gone but I have no idea if the puffer ate it or it is in the tank somewhere. The puffer looks a little thin. His sides seem a little sunken in. He has been exploring the tank and swimming around fine. He was timid at first and would hide behind the driftwood when I came near the tank. He would peak around it and watch me. He is now coming to the front of the tank when I check on him. I have turned the tank lights off for the night and trying to resist checking on him a dozen times.

Common behavior for the first day or two. Another week or 2 of you feeding and living in that tank, then it would be more familiar with you.

Treat for internal parasites until tummy is not sunken and body is not skinny.

What should I use to treat for parasites? I was thinking of ordering this Aquarium Fish Medications: ParaGuard or should I try something else? I am looking at other live foods. Will they eat brine shrimp? I have a ton of ghost shrimp in my 29 gallon. I though about adding some of the little ones of those.

Just get some more pest snails for them to eat. Perhaps try holding the snails with the tong. It helps associate the tong with food, which is a learned behavior.

Paraguard seems like its for external problems to the fish, not internal. I have tried Prazipro, so it can help.

try frozen bloodworms instead of freezedried, my pea puffer loves em! I feed him about 5-8 big ones every 3 days, and he gets snails in the meantime

CHecked on him this morning and he looks thinner. his eyes look like they might be a little cloudy too. He is swimming around checking things over. I tried to feed him with the tongs, freeze dried blood worms. He came over and checked it out but didn't eat. I have to order frozen blood worms. The local pet shop didn't have any. I added several small ghost shrimp. I even added a berried one. I also threw in a few baby snails from my other tanks. There are plenty of ramshorns in his tank and eggs. I have had it full of ramshorns and mystery snails for the last 3 months. I just hatched out baby mystery snails two days ago. Should I add a few of those? Little Man, temp name, came to the front of the tank this morning to greet me.

Do you have a petsmart or petco near you? Both sell frozen bloodworms. I feed my DP the frozen bloodworms and he gobbles em right up. He like his snails too :)
I have tried frozen brine shrimp and beefheart with much less success as the frozen bloodworms.

I live way away from everything in the country. The closest large pet store to me is 80 miles away and is a Petland. I get there about every two months. He is looking better today. I did a soak of worm meds yesterday and started Pimafix today. He looks better today than he did yesterday. I looked through my other tanks and took all the tiny baby ramshorn I could find and added them to his tank. I also baited the snails to the middle of the tank last night. The snails love these algae wafers I have so I placed it in the middle of the tank to get them out in the open. Doesn't look like there are many in there now. He is cruising the glass, driftwood, and plants looking things over. I am going to catch a few more tiny ghost shrimp today and put them in with him. I hope he keeps getting better. I am so attached to him already.

Back
Top Bottom