Got my first ram!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
exodus said:
img_633785_0_b71fb9d51aeb94d9a2c6fec8b92e4054.jpg

There's the new girl.
You mean you think it's girl..lol :)

I have yet to figure out a way to sex Bolivian Rams. I think I may have a female in quarantine. It appears to be showing an ovipositor, which the other (I think male) Bolivian isn't showing.

maxwell1295 said:
exodus said:
img_633869_0_b71fb9d51aeb94d9a2c6fec8b92e4054.jpg

There's the new girl.
You mean you think it's girl..lol :)

I have yet to figure out a way to sex Bolivian Rams. I think I may have a female in quarantine. It appears to be showing an ovipositor, which the other (I think male) Bolivian isn't showing.

Haha was the sales person asking the person who picked up the ram all about them? if so, it was me!

RoK said:
exodus said:
I know, I was in the petsmart in Norwalk, CT today and got a bolivian female for $1.06!
Huh? I was just there this afternoon and it said they were 3.99 each? Maybe they put the new tag on later on?

it was the managers special last week nationwide.... I guess the computers arent up to speed yet (The bolivians were $1 here too).

Again, I cant tell the difference in sex either, so it might be a male. What I would do is get 1 more bolivian, and 1 more golden, and the territorial disputes might be more isolated. Even if there are any, you have a 55 gallon, and they get 1.5", and it shouldnt really matter :)

The Bolivian will get prettier once it has a new nice home (as opposed to petsmart).

Andyvette said:
RoK said:
exodus said:
I know, I was in the petsmart in Norwalk, CT today and got a bolivian female for $1.06!
Huh? I was just there this afternoon and it said they were 3.99 each? Maybe they put the new tag on later on?

Again, I cant tell the difference in sex either, so it might be a male. What I would do is get 1 more bolivian, and 1 more golden, and the territorial disputes might be more isolated. Even if there are any, you have a 55 gallon, and they get 1.5", and it shouldnt really matter :)

When I bought it, every other fish in the tank except for two had a sharply pointed dorsal fin. The one on my new bolivian comes to a nice rounded back end, but I don't see a pink belly or anything like that either.

Is it true that pairs of rams will work, no matter what the sex? (just thinking about getting another golden and another bolivian - I'd hate to incorrectly identify one of their sexes and come back with a fight on my hands.)

Also, I really want a pair of german blues in my 55 as well but just havnt found any yet. Would 3 pairs be too much for a 55?

RoK - thats quite the coincidence! as I was standing there I was thinking, "I wonder if thats the guy from AA.."

I watched those bolivian's before and a couple of them chased after the others. They don't really hurt them or anything but are dominant over the others.

I think 3 pairs would be fine as long as they all have their own ornaments/caves/sections to go to.

The German Blue Rams and Golden Rams usually have a pink belly if female. As for Bolivians, my female does not have a pink belly. I haven't seen any Bolivians with a pink belly. It's extremely difficult to tell if the Bolivian is male or female til they spawn.

Another question for you guys: What do the GBR's eat? Mine is so shy that it wont come to the surface to eat, so the flake food and frozen blood worms havnt been touched by the golden.

He hasnt eaten since I got him, and today I woke up and found him sucked onto the filter intake, which cant be a good sign :(

He's still alive, but crashed on the bottom..

RoK said:
I watched those bolivian's before and a couple of them chased after the others. They don't really hurt them or anything but are dominant over the others.

I think 3 pairs would be fine as long as they all have their own ornaments/caves/sections to go to.

When my Bolivians spawn, which looks like they are getting ready to do again, they just spook the other fish away. If that doesn't work, then they would push the other fish away til they leave. Would never attack. Quite interesting....

exodus said:
Another question for you guys: What do the GBR's eat? Mine is so shy that it wont come to the surface to eat, so the flake food and frozen blood worms havnt been touched by the golden.

He hasnt eaten since I got him, and today I woke up and found him sucked onto the filter intake, which cant be a good sign :(

He's still alive, but crashed on the bottom..

I feed mine Cichlid flake food, Frozen bloodworms, shrimp pellets. They are pigs, they eat it all, lol.

As for the hiding and not eating, it's probably due to being alone. The feeling of insecurity. I've never tried introducing a single ram by themselves. At first, I bought 3 Bolivians, then 3 GBR's, then added 2 more GBR's.

Well, I hate to report this.

The golden has passed on.

I came downstairs this morning and couldnt find him for the life of me! I look on the back of the filter intake, and there he was. Still alive, but barely. I stopped the suction on the filter and he drifted off, but then the tiger barbs and gourami were having a field day with his fins, so I moved him to the upstairs tank. Went out for the afternoon, and found him floating in the plants.

RIP Mr Pirate.

On a happier note though, I'm glad to report that the bolivian is doing very well, and scooting around the tank quite happily.

I think I'm gunna have to invest in some CO2 to help get my pH down, its ~7.8 according to my test strips which arent accurate at all, but I;ve read that the rams dont like anything above 7.5

I got some chiclid slow sinking pellets that the bolivian seems to like, so thats under control now.

I'm currently jobless as well, so I think I'll go apply at the LFS. Then I can get some more rams and good stuff with an employee discount :D

speaking of bolivian rams, do you guys think this pic of a bolivian ram on AZGardens' site is just a little bit doctored?

Ram-Bolivian.gif

exodus said:
The golden has passed on...

I think I'm gunna have to invest in some CO2 to help get my pH down, its ~7.8 according to my test strips which arent accurate at all, but I;ve read that the rams dont like anything above 7.5

Sorry about the ram. :(

Is it a high light planted tank?

Is your tap water's pH normally that high?
If not, there might be something in the tank that's raising it. I'm curious about that because mine is about 7.

RoK said:
exodus said:
The golden has passed on...

Sorry about the ram. :(

Is it a high light planted tank?

Is your tap water's pH normally that high?
If not, there might be something in the tank that's raising it. I'm curious about that because mine is about 7.

~2.5wpg, so medium light, light planting thus far. I'm pretty sure its 7.8, but thats with a cheap test strip. I think I might have a liquid test kit kicking around here somewhere so I'll try and check the accuracy on that.

Are you on city or well water?

Back
Top Bottom