Got my first ram!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

exodus

Aquarium Advice Freak
Was in the LFS over the weekend and saw these guys in stock, so I went back today and got one. $8!

Seems to be a golden ram to me, maybe a bolivian?

Anyways, can anyone tell the sex of this guy? I wanna figure that out before I go get another one, because having 2 males isnt something I'd like to have.

Little guy seems to be quite happy with his 55g tank, which right now has the contents of my 10g in it as well. Those fish are being moved back to the 10g in about 10 mins, so then it'll be just my little ram and two gourami's with a 55 all to themselves.

TIA!

img_632883_0_d7aeb726b6af8d2b1cef95904e556e58.jpg

I'll say male due to the front dorsal finnage. The back of the dorsal fin is a little ragged, but it looks more pointed than rounded, which would indicate a female. Once he gets comfy and the fins grow in, you will have a beautiful fish.
so then it'll be just my little ram and two gourami's with a 55 all to themselves
Although that's a lot of room with only three fish, the gouramis may not like their new neighbor.

Menagerie said:
I'll say male due to the front dorsal finnage. The back of the dorsal fin is a little ragged, but it looks more pointed than rounded, which would indicate a female. Once he gets comfy and the fins grow in, you will have a beautiful fish.
so then it'll be just my little ram and two gourami's with a 55 all to themselves
Although that's a lot of room with only three fish, the gouramis may not like their new neighbor.

The gourami's don't ever seem to bother anyone but their own kind. With all the other fish that I had in there with them, I never once witnessed any chasing or fin nipping coming from the gourami.

I'll be sure to keep an eye on them though, I know how delecate the rams can be.

Seems to be a golden ram to me, maybe a bolivian?

Yep, a beautifully colored Bolivian Ram. Nice acquistion. Yeah, keep an eye on this combo, gourami's from what I understand, are really jealous if another fish has nice finnage.

Nope, not Bolivian. It's a Golden Ram, GBR. Bolivians don't have red eyes and have a more rounded body. Give it a little time and the tattered fins will look as good as new. Nice looking fish... :)

Thanks for the replies everyone. I've been just sitting there staring at this little guy for the past 45 mins! Now I just gotta find a female.

As far as the gourami go, I've had my eye on them and will keep it on them. The ram tends to hide out in the back corner of the tank in the plants, and ever once and awhile the fire gourami will come over and sit next to him. Not a fin nip or anything in sight.

As the plants grow in and as I add more plants to the tank, it should give the ram more hiding places and hopefully that'll be enough to keep the gourami from getting ideas.

This was one of the bigger ones the LFS had, maybe I'll go back tomorrow and see if any of them are female. I havnt seen the goldens for sale anywhere else, so I think I'll try and snatch them up while I can.

I asked the guy if he would be getting any blue rams anytime soon and said he hadn't seen them in awhile, but if he saw some he'd grab them for me. Nice guy he is.

Very nice looking fish! I currently have a pair of Dwarf Gouramis and a pair of Bolivian Rams. The only time I've seen them even get remotely close to each other is when they're being fed and even then it's 100% peaceful! They get along just fine together. I'd still keep an eye on your fish for a while just to make sure. :)

Also, keep an eye on the belly. If there is any sign of pink rather than yellow, it's a female. Also, my baby female GBR got mad at one of the other GBR's, one of the adults, and her head went from the normal dark color to the gold color in yours. Then after the chase, within 15 seconds, was back to the normal color. I never seen that happen before that fast. And yes, your Golden Ram is really a GBR, just another variation of the GBR. :)

exodus said:
As far as the gourami go, I've had my eye on them and will keep it on them. The ram tends to hide out in the back corner of the tank in the plants, and ever once and awhile the fire gourami will come over and sit next to him. Not a fin nip or anything in sight.
Gouramis are usually just territorial with other gouramis but they are curious to check out any new fish.

Agreed, it's a gold ram. It looks a lot like the one I have, which I believe to be a male, except yours has longer fins than mine. Beautiful fish, and he'll look even better once those fins grow back.

GouramiFanatic said:
Very nice looking fish! I currently have a pair of Dwarf Gouramis and a pair of Bolivian Rams. The only time I've seen them even get remotely close to each other is when they're being fed and even then it's 100% peaceful!

Me too. I have a fire gourami and a pair of bolivian rams in a 30 gallon, and they are fine w/ each other. 100% peaceful. Also, it doesn't matter if it is male or female (unless you are breeding). The Rams are one of the few cichlids that dont care about their pair... it can be 2 males, 2 females, 1 male 1 female... its all the same. They are peaceful :) Just an FYI.

Also... make sure to put some melafix in the tank if you haven't already for about 3-7 days. Just in case (so the ripped fins dont get the risk of being infected).

Other than the back fin, that fish is GORGEOUS. His spots are all in good places and they are blue already! Wait until his red outline on his back fin REALLY starts to show up.... pretty pretty pretty!

Petsmart in Lexington KY had Bolivian Rams for $1.oo this weekend.

Hi......

Here's my Bolivians.....

The male is in focus, and the female is just right of him.

Attachments

• 75g207_298.jpg
    75g207_298.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 11
darburks said:
Petsmart in Lexington KY had Bolivian Rams for $1.oo this weekend.

I know, I was in the petsmart in Norwalk, CT today and got a bolivian female for $1.06!
They arent the most beautiful of the rams, but for a dollar, i couldnt pass it up.
Their tanks are ridiculously clean and well kept too, so I had no problem buying one.
But when I put her in the tank with the other one, the male golden's colors are just so much more spectacular..

One question - The ram I got yesterday seems to have staked out a territory already, and was accepting of the new ram at first but now chases her away whenever she gets into his corner of plants. Is there anything I can do to fix this territory issue short of rearranging the tank? Or should I just let it be?

exodus said:
I know, I was in the petsmart in Norwalk, CT today and got a bolivian female for $1.06!
Huh? I was just there this afternoon and it said they were 3.99 each? Maybe they put the new tag on later on?

RoK said:
exodus said:
Huh? I was just there this afternoon and it said they were 3.99 each? Maybe they put the new tag on later on?

It said $3.99 when I bought it too, brought it up to the register and they only charged me $1.06 for it. Must have been unadvertised?

img_633683_0_b71fb9d51aeb94d9a2c6fec8b92e4054.jpg

There's the new girl.

Just curious, do you remember about what time you went? I saw someone pic up a ram there and I'm wondering if it was you. :lol: What a coincidence that would be, huh? I believe I was there at some time between 1-2pm.

Back
Top Bottom