Got New Fish & A Surprise: A Tiny Snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmpgop

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I got some long-finned danios today to work on my danio school... I got the bag home and noticed that there is (was) a tiny little snail in the bag. I put it in my breeders cage in my 10 gallon tank (danios are going in my 36 gallon), and I'm wondering what are the chances of this tiny little snail surviving?

There is rock bedded in the breeder's cage and it was sitting on the floor of the tank (as I have been working on *seeding* it to help cycle a future 10 gallon tank if I get one).

I lifted it to hang on the edge of the tank and I dropped an algae disks in there with it...

He is soooo little... Any advice, suggestions, etc?

Sounds like a ramshorn or pond snail. He'll probably be fine. I would be careful not to overfeed it, it could foul up the water quality pretty quickly. I wouldn't feed it but maybe a teeny tiny speck of food every few days.

Okay - so now I have heard from others that I may not want this snail (besides your comments.....) Just because he came along with the fish I chose, doesn't mean I should keep him??? What would you do?

It's up to you, I keep snails in most of my tanks. They are good cleaners and they eat any waste that may accumulate. They don't explode in population unless you have a habit of overfeeding.

Back
Top Bottom