Got some new fish and need some advice!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Polaris_Rider

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok i have a 55 gallon freshwater tank i used to have 2 oscars but they where really messy fish so i gave them to a freind who wanted them. Now i got 2 bala sharks, 2 id sharks, 1 columbia shark, 2 golden dojo loaches, 2 small plecos, and 1 larger pleco king. All of the sharks are small about 1" to 1" 1/2 long im just wondering will they do ok in my tank? i got the temp set around 70 - 78. also i wanted to get some new lights in my aquarium i waqs thinking about a light blue colour will this affect the fish or the aquarium? Thanks for your advice!

The tank temp should be around 76 degrees. Do you have plans to upgrade the tank to a significantly larger size in the near future? The lighting, it's all personal preference unless you are growing plants. But considering your stock, I wouldn't recommend it.

Bala and iridescent sharks are schooling fish, best kept in groups, and both species grow entirely too large for a 55. Colombian sharks grow to over 1' as well, again too large for a 55. Unless you are planing to set up at least an 8' tank, these fish aren't suitable for a home aquarium.

Irridescents... I used to have two of these before I realized I shouldn't. They'll grow to your tank, but will at some point stop growing and get stunted. They are extremely skittish and every time you turn the lights on or make big movements they freak out and smash into things. I grew to hate mine. I felt bad turning on the lights because they would hurt themselves when I did. That's just my opinion, I'm not trying to get on your case about irridescents. Just trying to let you know what you may experience with them.

Here's a link to another forum with pictures of a 12 inch irridescent.

http://www.oscarfish.com/updated-pics-of-tank-535gal-dial-up-warning-vt48214.html

Iridescents do not really 'grow to your tank'...these are potentially 48" fish that once they get to about 14" in your tank will likely jump out or bash in their faces on the tank ends. The balas are good for 14" each, and the colombia shark can manage 12"-14" (and eventually need to go brackish).

You may wish to rethink your current choices.

yes, IDs should not even be sold because they're false advertised on a LOT, saying 'max size: 12" ' at some pet stores

here's a picture of mine that we had for 15 years and got rid of at about 16-17 inches long

893703890_l.jpg

Back
Top Bottom