got to love spouses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

butterfly_koi

Aquarium Advice Addict
So while doing a pwc in my 29 gallon I asked my husband to clean of my filter (it was covered in hard water stains) so he takes it off the tank and walked toward the bathroom, stepped on the cord and dropped it cracking it beyond repair! So now I have a 29 gallon with ten fish without any filtration! Can't get another one till tomorrow, what in the world am I going to do?

If you happen to see your fish coming to the surface and gasping for air take a clean cup or sm. bucket and remove some tankwater and pour it back into the aquarium a few times every hour or so. Also you could stir or agitate the surface of the water. This will help with gas exchange and give your critters more oxygen. As LindaB stated make sure the filter media stays wet with tankwater also.

Cichlid Kid said:
If you happen to see your fish coming to the surface and gasping for air take a clean cup or sm. bucket and remove some tankwater and pour it back into the aquarium a few times every hour or so. Also you could stir or agitate the surface of the water. This will help with gas exchange and give your critters more oxygen. As LindaB stated make sure the filter media stays wet with tankwater also.

I had put the media in a bowl of tank water, will it help if I put a bubble stone in the tank? I always have a few of those laying around

That was going to be my next suggestion, adding the bubbler/airstone.

I think you need to keep that filter media at tank temp, as well. In a bowl, it'll cool off tremendously. Can you just stick it somewhere in the tank? Pop it into pantyhose or something sheer?

LyndaB said:
That was going to be my next suggestion, adding the bubbler/airstone.

I think you need to keep that filter media at tank temp, as well. In a bowl, it'll cool off tremendously. Can you just stick it somewhere in the tank? Pop it into pantyhose or something sheer?

+1 on the bubbler! Will help greatly with surface agitation and the oxygen exchange.

That's why I run 3 filters on my 29, triple redundancy! lol Anyways I know you're from Missouri dunno where, but if you're close to Arnold and have issues getting one, I can loan you one for a few days till ya get one.

Thanks for the offer but I live in a little rinky dink town near Sedalia, good idea on the pantyhose I'll try that for sure, I've stuck in a bubble stone and I'll be able to go early tomorrow to get a new filter. I'll have to invest in an extra one in case this happens again or I'll just stick to tank maintenance myself lol

Glad to hear it, on a side note, you said
cracking it beyond repair!
If you had any epoxy laying around could you possibly seal it with that and save it as a back up filter? Where is the crack at?

Sake said:
Glad to hear it, on a side note, you said If you had any epoxy laying around could you possibly seal it with that and save it as a back up filter? Where is the crack at?

I don't have any epoxy but that's a good idea! its hard to explain it but I'll try to describe to the best of my abilities, bear with me. The crack is on that part where the electrical chord is at, on the filter there is a piece that pops out on the bottom where the cord attaches to, its cracked on the piece where that part connects into. Does that explain it well enough? Sorry lol

As long as it doesn't get wet you could go buy some cheap epoxy and fix it, but if that part gets wet i wouldn't risk it myself. If the epoxy leaked since it's where the cord is it may give ya a good shock lol.

At least he was willing to help! The fish will survive one night without a filter. The bubblers will keep em breathing oxygen :)

Sake said:
As long as it doesn't get wet you could go buy some cheap epoxy and fix it, but if that part gets wet i wouldn't risk it myself. If the epoxy leaked since it's where the cord is it may give ya a good shock lol.

Its a part that gets wet

GodFan said:
At least he was willing to help! The fish will survive one night without a filter. The bubblers will keep em breathing oxygen :)

True he is a good helper lol, the fish survived just fine through the night and just to say he's sorry he brought home a little orange and black spotted female platy, I've never had a platy before I guess im going have to start reading up on them as well

Its a part that gets wet

True he is a good helper lol, the fish survived just fine through the night and just to say he's sorry he brought home a little orange and black spotted female platy, I've never had a platy before I guess im going have to start reading up on them as well
lol well that was sweet. Platies are easy btw

Back
Top Bottom