Got video of squiggly worms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeep_n_hog

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm house sitting for a friend while he's out of the country on business. I was trying to nurse a Betta of his back to health. I found him one day completely void of any fins or tail, just barely alive floating on the top.

I put him in my quarantine tank at home, 2 gallon, with a moss ball and one neorite snail, or whatever they are called. The tank has no gravel.

ALl was going well, his fins started growing back, he was active again, but then I noticed he had a white spot on him that never went away despite 2 rounds of medication. It didn't seem to bother him, so I let it go to see what happened.

Well, the spot didn't grow. But, the Betta went blind in one eye as was evident by him missing the food if he had to strike to one side in particular. Then he started swimming funny, favoring the side with that spot. So I treated him again. I'm using Tetra Lifeguard. I've had pretty good luck with it in the past. The fish went down hill fast after that I started that treatment, and died.

I removed the fish, but left the tank run. I didn't have time to clean it or take it down.

A week after the fish died, I noticed these tiny white squiggly worms swimming. I didn't see any in the bottom or any attached to the glass, just always swimming.

I tried doing the usual internet research, but opinions are all over the map. It's near impossible to reach a consensus as to what these are. I'm wondering if this isn't the parasite that killed the Betta.

Anyhow, here's a video that I was able to get of the worms tonight.

Any experts on here that can give me a firm answer on what these are? Planaria? Detritus Worms? Something else?

Sorry about the fish. Nice effort to rescue him.
Definitely not planaria. Looks like detritus worms.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom