Gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just my two cents... My four gouramis are all female and they get on ok. They have a pecking order so it took them a couple of days to sort that out. Now the gold is boss, opaline Doris is 2nd in command, 3rd is the other gold, finally comes opaline Ethel. I need to name my golds.

To me it is a little ambiguous. There is a slightly pointier curve on that fin. I'm going to say male for that fact. When he grows a bit you'll know for sure.

looks like female hard to tell I have never had dwarfs and dorsal fins is different on dwarfs.

Just did a little research and Dwarfs don't go by the same sexing as standard gouramis. (IE pointed or round dorsal fins) from what I read Dwarf males are most common in the aquarium trade because females are a duller silver color not the bright colors the males have. So I retract my last statement it will be hard to tell until he or she gets settled. If brightly colored its male if lighter dull color than female. IMO that is kind of subjective so unless you are trying to breed than I would just stick with the one to avoid fighting.

All of your pics are definitely male. As mentioned above, dwarf gourami aren't sexed the same way as the large size gourami. All dwarf gourami have either silver or very pale females, with very bright/vibrant males.

I haven't kept dwarf gourami personally, but I do have a sorority of large gourami in my 75 gallon tank. Gourami are related to bettas, so they have the same variety of personalities between individuals, but the general rule I've found is that all girls get along fine; it's when you have more than 1 male that you tend to run into issues. All the males I've had were jerks that bullied the girls and each other, so I've stuck to keeping just females. They still have a pecking order, but once that's sorted out they'll hang out together without any problems, even when they're not all the same species (currently have 1 pearl, 2 blue, 2 opaline, 1 lavender).

Back
Top Bottom