Gourami an Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr.waffles1842

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can i keep a dwarf gourami with a female betta? i know they have a reputation for hating each other... Just wanted some clarification...

I would advise not to but I do know people that've gotten away with it cause they had about 10 dif hiding spots and they took their beta out, added the groumi, then aclimated the beta again but I wouldn't advise it(the betas were all female in their cases)

It really depends on the individual fish IMO fish always need lots of hiding places regardless . Mine hang out all the time but its a hit or miss . Can't promise any happy endings ..

Depends, you can try it am see what happens. It all depends on the fish you get, for ex. Black skirts get a bad rap for nipping but some people have kept them with angels just fine.

I do keep a dwarf gourami and a female betta together. I've done that combo a couple times successfully. It's not something I would try in just any situation though. I keep mine in a 29 gallon tank with lots of tall plants and I have other tanks in the home that a fish can easily be relocated to if there is a problem. I wouldn't try it in a tank smaller than this or without a back up plan. ;)

What if i put two gouramis in the same tank? I cant tell if the gouramis at my LFS are female or are just sick....

There's should be no question as to whether it's a female or " just sick " . Never buy a sick fish with hopes of nursing it unless you have an empty tank just for it .& females ( I'm lucky enough to have found and homed one) are slightly smaller , a rare find in fish stores & Plain in color although beautiful , and just as active and alert as the males . Bear in mind that some males are mistaken as females because when a male is young it can look alot like a female , there colors become more pronounced with time . as for multiple dg I have sucess because of my numerous hideouts and plants , but many would advise against it . Just snapped some pics for you , 1st is a young male , second female , third adult male and female . Can't really get a clear shot because they were being shy , but hope it helps with sexing .

Attachments

• image-4104940390.jpg
    image-4104940390.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 62
  • image-4074185212.jpg
    image-4074185212.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 63
  • image-118334199.jpg
    image-118334199.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 63
What if i put two gouramis in the same tank? I cant tell if the gouramis at my LFS are female or are just sick....
What size tank is it? I would look at combining gouramis exactly the same as the betta and gourami...large enough tank with enough plants and a back up plan. Personally I would not combine two gouramis, just as I would not combine two bettas.

Bettas should only be kept together for short periods of time when breeding.

If you feel that's working for you, that's fantastic, but it's not the sort of thing I would go around suggesting others try. It's a recipe for disaster. Both having two gouaramis together, having two bettas together, and having a male gourmi and male betta together. It's three ugly scenarios all in one.

Hmmm... The reason i was asking was because i have some extra space in my tank now and was wondering what singular or paired fish i could get... I like honey dgs or regular dgs, and bettas, but cant find any other pairs or two compatible singles... any suggestions?

Hmm how about peacock gudgeons? Maybe some Gardneri killifish..depending on the tank situation. What size is it and what's it stocked with already?

Back
Top Bottom