Gourami, barbs, and rams?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nomadu571

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My friend posed the question to me, would rams go with gourami and barbs or would it just equal fights? Or death?

Depends on the size of the tank and the type of stock. TigerBarbs are notorious fin nippers and need to be in shoal of at least 5 but 7 is a better minimum number if you don't have other Barbs in the tank. The larger the number the more TB's will fight among themselves to establish a hierarchy of the shoal .. the less they'll bother other fish. BTW that's no guarantee they wont torment other fish ... just less likely in larger shoals.

Gourami's are territorial and don't tolerate other fish .. much less other Gourami's in their space ... especially if it's the same sex. In a tank smaller than 55 gal without plants, rocks, caves and DW to set up territories ... a Gourami may decide the whole tank's it's territory.

Don't have Rams so I can't speak to their aggressiveness.

Well the tank has 7 barbs and 3 gourami, one male and two female, all get along fine, I was asked if we cud put two rams in from a friends tank but dont know if they will go together because of nipping or territory issues, with enough hiding space would it b ok? That's all we need to know.

Also to note they are moss green barbs, if that helps?

Back
Top Bottom