Gourami being mean

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anna.carlson

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I bout 2 gourami on the same day from the same tank, one gold and one that starts with an o and is blue. My tank has hiding spots and plants but my blue one won't leave behind the filter because the gold one will go after him every time he comes out. The blue one is barely eating if at all and looks like it's having more trouble swimming now I'm assuming due to not swimming around and eating. The gold one hasn't nipped any fins or anything but is definitely stressing out the blue one . But it doesn't mess with any other fish other than the blue one.

What should I do?!

Awww poor little three spot is terrified.

Apparently gold gourami can just be belligerent. Any off water parameters can make gourami more grumpy. What are your levels?

Awww poor little three spot is terrified.

Apparently gold gourami can just be belligerent. Any off water parameters can make gourami more grumpy. What are your levels?

I'm not sure I took the water to petsmart to get tested and they said it was good! But I have a huge castle it can go in but it chooses to stay behind the filter and not only is it getting pushed around by the gold it's getting pushed around by the water. The gold literally minds its own business with the other fish in the tank and is chill but then as soon as the blue one comes out he goes after him

I think they always say it's all good. I have not once heard a person say that the pet store pointed out water problems.

I strongly recommend you get an API master test kit so you can check your own parameters. My guess is that there's some ammonia or nitrites that are stressing the fish.

What other tank mates? Gourami can get along just fine with other fish while needing to be the only of their kind.

I just have some orange and Dalmatian mollies which have all been fine. And I brought in the water in the beginning and they told me it was too hard for the fish still so I let it run longer and then they said it was good. It's crazy that they don't get along even though they came out of the same tank at the pet store

I think they always say it's all good. I have not once heard a person say that the pet store pointed out water problems.

I strongly recommend you get an API master test kit so you can check your own parameters. My guess is that there's some ammonia or nitrites that are stressing the fish.

What other tank mates? Gourami can get along just fine with other fish while needing to be the only of their kind.
Spot on... Some gourami are peaceful to all but other gourami.
And agree about lfs, I often have to leave because I overhear people being given bad advice there.

If anything, hardness is going to increase over time because of evaporation.

Gourami can get along okay in pet store tanks where no one is able to claim territory. When there's an opportunity to claim it, though, they will.

Your Gold and Opaline are both 3 Spot Gouramis (Trichogaster trichopterus). Same species, just color varieties.

Both are territorial and can be very aggressive. A 40g is not big enough for two 3 Spot Gouramis no matter what color they are. They get 6" and are considered Semi Aggressive fish.

Thanks everyone I took back the gold one so hopefully I can get the opaline is able to recover

I had a gold gourami which killed my pearl Gourami overnight. Gold are very mean. Even pearl can be mean at times suddenly. Don't put two gouramis. One is fine and pearl is peaceful compared to other kinds.

Back
Top Bottom