Gourami being to aggressive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Awesomefazekas

Aquarium Advice Regular
My male 3 spot gourami has recently been chasing around every fish in my tank even my huge Cory cat and how all my fish are hiding in the back where it can't get to and i want to know what I should do to stop it

i have had some do that one thing they say is you can change all decorations around.. if you just bought it some places will refund you i know our petsmart and or petco will.. or you can take it and just give it to the pet store.. i've had to put one down it got so bad..

Rearranging is a temporary solution, unfortunately. Gourami can be big jerks, even if they're the sissies when you get anywhere near the tank. I'd exchange him if you could. His attitude isn't going to change. How big is the tank? They like to have at least 10g for themselves.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

And I can't take him back cuz pet smart has the 2 week stuff and I've had him for 3 months and he just started like his now

Gouramis are generally pretty mean.
Some solutions I have used are getting another larger fish to keep him in check. In my tank it's a rainbow shark.

Honestly for a 20 gallon, a 3 spot gourami just isn't a good fit. A dwarf gourami would be better, but they are still pretty aggressive.

Trying to fix it with the placement of plants and deco is an option as well. But also depends on how aggressive he is. If he is just chasing fish that's one thing, and could be totally fine. My Gouramis chase each other all the time.
If he is full on attacking people, that's worse b

Yup. That's what they do in smaller tanks. My suggestion on tank size was assuming it was a dwarf (oops). A dwarf acts the same, but is more tolerant in a smaller space. You can always see if they're willing to exchange for a dwarf. Personally, I like the dwarf coloring better than regular gourami anyway (normal dwarf, powder blue, fire, orange, yellow, etc). One of the best looking freshwater fishies I've seen, honestly.

Well you can take a page out of the all male Cichlid tank and rearrange the decor every week or so. That might help.

Yup. That's what they do in smaller tanks. My suggestion on tank size was assuming it was a dwarf (oops). A dwarf acts the same, but is more tolerant in a smaller space. You can always see if they're willing to exchange for a dwarf. Personally, I like the dwarf coloring better than regular gourami anyway (normal dwarf, powder blue, fire, orange, yellow, etc). One of the best looking freshwater fishies I've seen, honestly.

I agree, my absolute favorite is the paradise gourami though. They are right in between size wise. About 4" but they are mean too.

I have a gold, dwarf, and paradise, they pick on each other, but ignore the other fish in the tank. And the rainbow shark keeps them in check.

Maybe just add a dwarf gourami. It will give the 3 spot someone to target, and the dwarf has a big enough attitude to fight back, thinking they might balance each others aggression out, or it could turn into an all out war, lol.

That's a tough one.

The dwarf gourami is the only type i have ever owned.. and they can still be aggressive especially if you have 2 i guess depending on the personalities of the 2 fish you pick out i ended up having to put one down because he had killed a powder blue dwarf and almost killed a couple of plates.. but have not had that problem with the dwarf i have now..

I had the same problem it chased all my red eye Tetras un my 10 gallón. When i moved it to my 80 gal it got really peaceful and just swims around. Im guessing theyr very territorial

I had the same problem it chased all my red eye Tetras un my 10 gallón. When i moved it to my 80 gal it got really peaceful and just swims around. Im guessing theyr very territorial

They say a gourami needs about 15-20 gallons to themselves roughly. I do not follow this rule, but I also have a good "referee" in the tank with my 3 different Gouramis.

Totally a mishap, but my rainbow shark is quick to break up any fights quick. The gold takes the left of the tank, the paradise the right, and the dwarf hangs out in the middle, they cross over, and at night they usually stay together, but when there is a problem the rainbow shark will step in pretty much every time.

I solved it i started feeding him blood worms and other carnivorous fish foods and he left the others alone

Back
Top Bottom