Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 08-15-2005, 05:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: bc, Canada
Posts: 5
Gourami breeding and a few questions

I had two gold gouramis in a 10g that spawned yesterday, so I took out the female whe all the male was doing was chasing her away anytime she even looked at the nest.....so far the male is eagerly taking care of the eggs....I have read alot on the internet, learned alot, but I still have questions that I cant seem to find.

1. Do I remove the male? and if so when?

2. Can I turn of the lights at night, or should I turn them off? Im worried that the temp will drop without the lights on. They spawned at about 84-86 temp. It cools off at night to about 80 in the tank.

3. What is the optimal temp to keep the tank at?

4. How can I create? culture? or make infusoria? I looked on the internet and there was a site that said to take some tank water and add some dried leaves to it and let it sit in the sun for a few days, the water will go cloudy and then I will have infusoria. I have tried this but the water has not gone cloudy yet. I will need to feed the fry in the next day or so.

Any help on these questions is greatly appreciated since this is my first spawn.
__________________

__________________
princesslola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 06:10 PM   #2
God of primitive fishes
 
Toirtis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 8,163
Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
Re: Gourami breeding and a few questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesslola
I had two gold gouramis in a 10g that spawned yesterday, so I took out the female whe all the male was doing was chasing her away anytime she even looked at the nest.....so far the male is eagerly taking care of the eggs....I have read alot on the internet, learned alot, but I still have questions that I cant seem to find.

1. Do I remove the male? and if so when?
Usually suggested when you see signs of hatching.

Quote:
2. Can I turn of the lights at night, or should I turn them off? Im worried that the temp will drop without the lights on. They spawned at about 84-86 temp. It cools off at night to about 80 in the tank.
Fish need delineated photoperiods, too, so yes.

Quote:
3. What is the optimal temp to keep the tank at?
About 80ºF

Quote:
4. How can I create? culture? or make infusoria? I looked on the internet and there was a site that said to take some tank water and add some dried leaves to it and let it sit in the sun for a few days, the water will go cloudy and then I will have infusoria. I have tried this but the water has not gone cloudy yet. I will need to feed the fry in the next day or so.
That should work, but I find lettuce leaves are far better than dried leaves.
__________________
G. A. Christian Bilou, Herpetologist
Founder/Director, Reptile Rescue Alberta
Past-President, Calgary Aquarium Society
www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Toirtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
breed, breeding, gourami

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pearl Gourami Breeding Pointers? Fishyfriend09 Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding 4 09-09-2009 10:44 AM
breeding dwarf gourami papa_bear_21 Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding 6 10-17-2007 08:54 PM
more gourami questions :( themagpie Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 8 05-26-2006 08:08 PM
Gourami breeding lmw80 Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding 3 07-10-2005 02:23 PM
gourami breeding kristen Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding 4 05-17-2004 03:26 AM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×