Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-15-2005, 05:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Gourami breeding and a few questions

I had two gold gouramis in a 10g that spawned yesterday, so I took out the female whe all the male was doing was chasing her away anytime she even looked at the nest.....so far the male is eagerly taking care of the eggs....I have read alot on the internet, learned alot, but I still have questions that I cant seem to find.

1. Do I remove the male? and if so when?

2. Can I turn of the lights at night, or should I turn them off? Im worried that the temp will drop without the lights on. They spawned at about 84-86 temp. It cools off at night to about 80 in the tank.

3. What is the optimal temp to keep the tank at?

4. How can I create? culture? or make infusoria? I looked on the internet and there was a site that said to take some tank water and add some dried leaves to it and let it sit in the sun for a few days, the water will go cloudy and then I will have infusoria. I have tried this but the water has not gone cloudy yet. I will need to feed the fry in the next day or so.

Any help on these questions is greatly appreciated since this is my first spawn.

Old 08-15-2005, 06:10 PM   #2
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
Re: Gourami breeding and a few questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesslola
I had two gold gouramis in a 10g that spawned yesterday, so I took out the female whe all the male was doing was chasing her away anytime she even looked at the nest.....so far the male is eagerly taking care of the eggs....I have read alot on the internet, learned alot, but I still have questions that I cant seem to find.

1. Do I remove the male? and if so when?
Usually suggested when you see signs of hatching.

Quote:
2. Can I turn of the lights at night, or should I turn them off? Im worried that the temp will drop without the lights on. They spawned at about 84-86 temp. It cools off at night to about 80 in the tank.
Fish need delineated photoperiods, too, so yes.

Quote:
3. What is the optimal temp to keep the tank at?
About 80ºF

Quote:
4. How can I create? culture? or make infusoria? I looked on the internet and there was a site that said to take some tank water and add some dried leaves to it and let it sit in the sun for a few days, the water will go cloudy and then I will have infusoria. I have tried this but the water has not gone cloudy yet. I will need to feed the fry in the next day or so.
That should work, but I find lettuce leaves are far better than dried leaves.
www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Toirtis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breed, breeding, gourami

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com