Gourami compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rosenweiss

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've heard that it isn't good to mix dwarf gouramis in a single tank, but why is this?

I have a 29g freshwater with several very peaceful inhabitants, including a neon red dwarf gourami that has never bothered a soul.

We would like to add a powder blue dwarf gourami. Is there any chance we could do this?

If not, why not? I think the neon red is female but I'm not sure.

If the neon red is actually red in color, it is not a female. If you are buying fish from chain stores like petco/petsmart you will never see a female. In fact I have never seen a female in any lfs but some do carry them, and they are available to order online.

The rule of thumb with gouramis is 1 per tank or in a larger planted tank you can do a largish group with atleast 3 males and a ratio of 2:1 female to male.

I would not add the powder blue with your neon red. They will almost surely fight. If you were to try be sure you buy it from a place you can return it ;)

I have a gourami tank with three male dwarf gouramis, 4 serbae tetras and 2 cories. Everyone seems to get along fine. They might have a dominance issue once in awhile but they are definitely not aggressive. I have one powder blue and two oranges. I love my gourami tank! Good luck!

I have a gourami tank with three male dwarf gouramis, 4 serbae tetras and 2 cories. Everyone seems to get along fine. They might have a dominance issue once in awhile but they are definitely not aggressive. I have one powder blue and two oranges. I love my gourami tank! Good luck!

How big is your tank?

Back
Top Bottom