Gourami Compatibility - 30g Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishandmusic81

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was wondering this but for a 30 gallon how many dwarf gouramis could go in there? Or the larger gourami species?

Last edited by a moderator:
Many LFS' only sell male dwarfs, in which case I would not recommend adding two. IME two males will amost always fight and one will dominate the other.

siva said:
Many LFS' only sell male dwarfs, in which case I would not recommend adding two. IME two males will amost always fight and one will dominate the other.

Yeah I've heard of that I know they sell the males how can I tell if it's s female?

The females are very plain in color. Both of mine almost appear to be a solid grey/silver color. The top fin is rounded on the end instead of pointed. You can see the stripes on them but they are VERY, VERY faint. I tried to take a picture but both of my girls are refusing to have their picture taken today. I got lucky and my local store had these in by mistake. They ordered males and got the females. I went to get another one and they were out. They said they would order some because they never excepted them to sell out so quickly.

Managed to grab a pic of a girl and my boy together. Notice her color is almost plain silver compared to his. (Post above, expected not excepted sorry gotta love typos and auto-correct)

Attachments

• girlandboy.jpg
    girlandboy.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 72
Oh ok hopefully they do have females although I doubt it from all I can remember the colors were bright thanks for the info and for the pic

i have 7 male dwarf gouramis in my tank and there has been no fighting. if you get only males they will not fight because there aren't any females to fight over. my guys have been together for about 2 years. i have an all male tank and none of my fish are aggressive. it's pretty easy to sex the gourami's since most stores keep the males from the females. just my experience that an all male tank is very peaceful. and the colors are much brighter on most freshwater males.

I've heard more success stories with large groups of male DG's like that then I have with two.

Back
Top Bottom