Gourami compatibility??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shumway

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guy's what's up :D

Looking for some advice on fish to go with my Opaline Gourami's,I have a 55g with 4 opaline's and 1 albino cory but it's really needing some more little friend's :wink:

I was talking to a guy at my LFS and he said there was barely anything you could put with them :roll: I know they can be little bugger's at time's but there should be a good deal of compatible fish out there.

Any advice would be really helpful :D

You should add more cories. You can add a school, of tetras or rasborsas. Rainbow fish are another possibility. Look at at the smaller varieties of plecos they would work as well.

Edited for rudeness.

Welcome to AA!!!!

i think bigger gouramis, kissing and moonlights would be ok, as well as plecos and kuhli loaches

They are compatible with most community fish. They will mostly just bicker with each other. Do avoid fish that may nip at the gouramis fins though.
You should add some more cories. They are happier in groups.
If you let us know what types of fish you are most interested in, we can better help on whether or not they are compatible.

I dont trust gouramis anymore. I certainly wouldnt put them in a community tank. I had major issues with dwarf blue gouramis, but maybe it was just the disposition of the one i had. Lets put it this way, it was visibly apparent that the fish were happy when i took him out of the tank :)

-Pleco

Pleco said:
I dont trust gouramis anymore. I certainly wouldnt put them in a community tank. I had major issues with dwarf blue gouramis, but maybe it was just the disposition of the one i had. Lets put it this way, it was visibly apparent that the fish were happy when i took him out of the tank :)

-Pleco

theres a bad apple in every bunch, and for gouramis its the dwarfs, but my gouramis are actually very peaceful

Thank's for the response's so far guy's :D

RoK said:
If you let us know what types of fish you are most interested in, we can better help on whether or not they are compatible.

That's one of my problem's,I don't know what i really like :oops: I was just going to get rid of them and do up a Malawi Cichlid tank but cash is a problem for a good while,Plus my old lady is getting really attached to these guy's :?

I was reading a compatibility chart some where else but didn't like any of the fish they had listed........Bala Sharks, Barbs, Clown Loaches, Corydoras, Danios, Hatchetfish, Kuhli Loaches, Plecos, Rainbowfish, Rainbow Shark, Red Tailed Shark.

The only one's i clicked with are the Cory's and i'll defenitly be getting more of those cause they are so fun to watch,Other than that i'm still stuck,I want to be able to have atleast 4 different specie's but it's not looking good :(

Try to avoid adding fin nippers and other fish with long fins. My Opalines never got along with each other or the Long Fin Zebra Danios I had with them. Semi-aggressive is correct!

My advice is since gouramis like the top strata of the tank, look for mid-tank and bottom-dwellers to complement what you already have. Since gourami's can get pretty large, I would think a nice thing to add would be a school of tetras or rasboras of some sort (as already suggested), in a 55g you have plenty of room for one really large school or a couple smaller schools of fish.

And defintely some cory friends, they really like being in groups of a half dozen (or more).

I had bad luck with tetras, but I have my pearl gourami with a school of cherry barbs and they do great together!

I had bad luck with tetras, but I have my pearl gourami with a school of cherry barbs and they do great together!

Gouramis will mostly just pick on each other, but I doubt anybody can say for sure what community fish they'll get along with. From what I've seen, some people have had particularly mean ones and will tell you not to put them with anything while some people have never had any problems with anything they put gouramis with.

I have a gold gourami which is the largest thing in my 30 hex, and she kind of chases everybody around but not very quickly. Somebody took a chunk out of one of my panda corys' tails when I first got them, and somebody seems to have damaged one of my rasboras pectoral fins when I first got them, but that's the extent of it. I certainly suspect the gourami.

It seems like the gourami is more aggressive the more I feed. Today I gave them a bunch of freeze-dried blood worms, and the gourami is really chasing everybody around. Yesterday I just gave them some regular flake food and she was mostly just poking around at the top by herself or sitting under the bubble wand.

Tostada said:
It seems like the gourami is more aggressive the more I feed. Today I gave them a bunch of freeze-dried blood worms, and the gourami is really chasing everybody around. Yesterday I just gave them some regular flake food and she was mostly just poking around at the top by herself or sitting under the bubble wand.

I would tend to agree.

I have three Pearls in my 47g, and for the most part they're quiet, peaceful and keep to themselves.

When I threw in a pea as a treat, one of the Pearls decided it was for her and for her only! Chased off any other fish that came near it.

You might, and I say might, be able to add some pearl gouramis, but that is a risky proposition in that size tank. You might be able to get away with it if you get the pearls substantially bigger than the opalines. That is what I did (I had a pair of opalines at the time: one gold, one blue). Otherwise, the compatibility chart you were referred to should give you some good hints. I am partial to roseline sharks, and they would be my first and highest recommendation if your cashflow weren't as much of an issue as it appears to be. Best bet is to add some more bottom dwellers as suggested above. Be careful if you go with barbs, as they can be nippy. Make sure to add a substantial school if you go that route.

Look's like i'll be trying some platie's and mollie's for now beside's getting more cory's,Problem right now is trying to find someone to take 2 of my Gourami's off my hand's,Never really paid attention to the sex of them before but it look's like i have 3 male's and 1 female :x

Back
Top Bottom