Gourami help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ghoulish124

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've had a blue gourami (female) in my 10 gallon thank for around a week and a half, today I added in a yellow gourami (male) and a dwarf gourami (male). The blue gourami was fairly territorial towards both of them at first but has since narrowed its sights on the dwarf gourami. The dwarf gourami now spends a lot of its time hiding in the upper corners of the tank and nesting in the plants. Any thoughts on reducing aggression?

Attachments

• IMG_0386.jpg
    IMG_0386.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0385.jpg
    IMG_0385.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_0384.jpg
    IMG_0384.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0383.jpg
    IMG_0383.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 98
I think that's too many Gourami in such a small tank IMO. They can be very aggressive, and with only 10 gallons to swim in, someone is going to get "off'd" in a constant territory battle.

I think that's too many Gourami in such a small tank IMO. They can be very aggressive, and with only 10 gallons to swim in, someone is going to get "off'd" in a constant territory battle.
Completely agree. They need more space.

Last edited:
Imo it's just better to have one gourami in a tank unless you have something huge. In my experience it never ends well. And a dwarf gourami with regular gourami is the worst ever dwarfs are very passive while regular are aggressive towards their own species primarily.

I have a pearl, blue and gold gourami in a 29 gal. Don't know the sex of any of them but they get along fine. Even swim together.

Did you get them all when they were young at the same time?

I've heard that helps a lot with them getting along. My gourami I've tried putting others in with him but since very he was already fully grown at the time he just chased and harassed them non stop so I had to pull them. :/ so now he just hangs out in my cichlid tank and doesn't get bothered or bothers anyone. I think it's funny how things work out sometimes.

Seconded. Blues get up to 6 inches. If by "yellow" you mean a gold gourami, that's just a color variant of the same species. Those two alone would have territorial issues: the poor dwarf gourami probably feels like the little kid ina neighborhood of bullies. At a minimum, I'd move the dwarf to another tank. My preferred course would be to relocate the other two gouramis and let the dwarf enjoy the 10g. It's a good size for him.

Good luck with this!

Back
Top Bottom