Gourami Help ID and sex

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
K, thanks for the good info, smallfry. . . I'm looking forward to getting a healthy replacement gourami - mr. opaline didn't last a week. :\

BTW, the general rule is most fish like veggies in some form - but they don't tend to prefer them totally raw. Usually partial cooked is best. For peas, de-skin them first. For carrots, sweet potato, zuchinni and cucumber there's no need to peel first...just put in tank as is (after partially cooking them). My gourami LOVED peas.....I squish the pea up while putting it in the tank....and my gourami would attack the little pieces. (He passed away.... :()

are they the little green english peas?
or is it like what we grow in our garden.. zippers, conch, and crowders?
Fresh,frozen, canned, does that matter?

IMO, frozen peas are best....but I'm sure the fishies aren't picky. As long as they are skinned. (the peas, not the fish) :mrgreen:

How I feed my gourami any veggie:

First I put it in boiling water until the water goes cold. The veggie is then nice and tender but still a bit raw.
Then I chop it up into little bits this big O.
Then I scrape the tiniest little sliver (about this big = ) with my finger and drop it into the water.
Then it is skinny enough for the gourami to eat.
The carotene makes the colour good :) and they love it.

Then it is skinny enough for the gourami to eat.
The carotene makes the colour good and they love it.

Good to know! I'll be sure to remember and use this. Thanks, Blucat! 8)

well, i lost the two blue one's in the past two days, they must've been sick and injured from walmart... the red one is doing good though, and so are the two females i bought from the LFS. No more buying walmart fish for me :(

Flame (Red With blue fin), Neon Blue (also seen this one as Powder Blue, all blue), Electric Blue (Similar to Wild, but has more blue - blue and red stripes), and Wild (Red and Blue stripes) are all names commonly applied to the colors that Dwarf Gouramis (Colisa lalia) come in. Those common names just are not reliable :(

Back
Top Bottom