Gourami is MIA???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zizi

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have 75G tank that is about 4 months old. Contents:
Platies - 11
Gouramis - 2
Mollies -3 + 11 molly fry
Danio - 1
Upside down catfish - 4 (all young)
No live plants.

A few days ago I noticed a young Sunset Male Gourami (maybe 1.5 inches long) was missing. I did a 45% WC (as the ammonia was rising to around 2-3 ppm), cleaned gravel, etc and could not find any evidence of the fish.

Is it possible/likely that some of the other fish ate the missing fish? Would they eat the whole thing? If they ate a dead fish, would that affect the ammonia levels?

Any fish will eat a dead fish but I don't think you're stock could've possibly picked it clean. If he was eaten completely you'll usually find a spine floating around. Also Gouramis tend to be jumpers so if you really can't find him look around the outside of the tank. I hope you find him though

I dont know much about upside down catfish, but if they are anything like cory cats id say he could have been devoured.

I had 2 upside down cats, 2 mollies, and 4 neon tetra in a 20 gallon. Came back from a 2 day vacation and 2 neons were completely gone and half of a third was in the tank. It was the catfish. Upside down cats can be a bit aggressive sometimes.

I wasnt saying corys were agressive, just have an incredibly voracious appetite and incredible ability to scavenge. They will eat a dead fish down to nothing before you notice ita gone in my experience.

In theory, if they ate the dead fish fast enough, it wouldn't affect the ammonia levels. Also, you have a pretty good sized tank, so that helps too. As was said, the cats will eat dead fish, but so will the other fish. I have had a few fish disappear here and there without so much as a spine left. It can happen. Just keep an eye on your ammo levels to be sure.

Back
Top Bottom