Gourami problem please help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OblivionGamer92

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a dwarf gourami that is red, and before now it hasn't been a problem except for chasing my young Molly around. But today I decided to get another gourami to distract it. I got one that was a powdered blue one, but now the first one chased the new one constantly. It always chases it and nips at its bottom fin and tail. What should I do?

Try getting a third to disperse the aggression. That may help. Try adding more plants. Or take the first one our for awhile then reintroduce it. Fish may need a time out

How big is your tank? Gouramis are very territorial. If they don't have enough space they will continue to fight. If your tank is large enough then eventually the dominant one will claim his preferred territory and things should settle down.

Return one or move one to a different tank if you have the means. You have 2 males of the same species (although they are different color variants) and IMO they are unlikely to tolerate each other, especially if you are having this much trouble already... one of them will probably end up injured or dead if you don't intervene.

Yeah I only have a 10 gallon so I'm thinking that would be a good idea to bring the new one back. I'm considering just getting another Cory because they're pretty peaceful

Sounds like a good plan. 10G definitely not enough room for two - and you can almost never go wrong with a cory...

Yeah I have 2 and they're really peaceful. I checked on AqAdvisor (which for those who don't know is a site to check stocking levels) and it said with a single gourami, a snail, a Molly, and 3 cories I would be at 102% stocking so do you guys think it's a good idea to get that third Cory?

There are 2 concerns when considering stocking levels: 1) Space and 2) Bio Load. I think you're fine with space since the cories spend most of the time on the bottom. As far as bio load it depends on your filter and your maintenance. Assuming you stay on top of water changes you should be OK. (I wouldn't put too much stock on a percentage calculator - 99% and 102% are virtually the same. One says you're good and the other says you're not - but no tangible difference.)

I was thinking that going over a little wouldn't hurt. But seeing as the only fish that wouldn't be at the bottom are te molly and gourami I figured space is t a problem either. But I need to make sure to do weekly water changes cause sometimes I forget

Back
Top Bottom