gourami question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ram_g0p

Aquarium Advice Regular
I saw a gourami labelled "Red Fire Dwarf" at local Petsmart. Is it same as honey gourami? Thanks.

It's more than likely a color variant of Colisa lalia, the dwarf gourami; although there are also a few variants or the honey gourami, Colisa chuna.

Thanks all for the information. The reason I ask is I am thinking of adding a dwarf or honey. I'd rather go with the Honey Gourami as I've been discouraged by the disease proneness of the Dwarf Gourami. Any one with a happy experience with dwarf gouramis as regards longevity and disease-free??

Unfortunately, not me. I wasn't able to keep DGs alive, although I will say it has been several years since I have bothered trying. Honey gourami is generally more mild mannered, if that makes a difference to you.

One of my favorite small gouramis, if you can find any, are the croaking gourami- trichopsis vittata. This species is totally underrated IMO and has a ton of personality, and is also quite hardy when compared to the DG.

i have 6 male dwarf gouramis. i've had them for almost 2 years. they have all been very healthy. i got them at "that fish place/that pet place". they have excellent quality fish and are extremely knowledgeable. they have several marine biologists working there so if you have any questions they can make recommendations although it's still a good idea to do your own research before you buy. good stock is what you really need to have healthy fish i think. also a good program of tank maintenance and regular water changes are another must for healthy fish and tanks. best of luck with which ever gourami you choose. they are beautiful community fish. :)

One of my favorite small gouramis, if you can find any, are the croaking gourami- trichopsis vittata.

Thanks for the info. I shall look for this gourami. Although, most the LFS around my area are not that great - limited stock and that too carry mostly common fish.....

i have 6 male dwarf gouramis. i've had them for almost 2 years. they have all been very healthy. i got them at "that fish place/that pet place".

Do you all 6 males in one tank? What size is your tank? I read about how male gouramis can be aggressive towards each other... Then again I see in the stores the males are put in a single tank. May be there is occasional aggression, but mostly they seem OK together. What's your experience/observation?

As for tank maintenance, I have been very diligent....
And thanks for your thoughts :)

severum mama said:
One of my favorite small gouramis, if you can find any, are the croaking gourami- trichopsis vittata. This species is totally underrated IMO and has a ton of personality, and is also quite hardy when compared to the DG.

+1 to that all the way. T. Vittata has been my favorite Gourami species by far. I've had my lone male for about 1-2 years now and it was hardy enough to make a 2 day trip from Toledo OH to Augusta GA. Great personalities and beautiful blue eyes. Underrated is and understatement when it comes to this species. Good luck trying to find them as they don't come around too often.

what other are there too finding nice looking freshwater fish for a 55 gallon?

i'm fairly new to the aquarium world,i am currently looking at starting up a 55 gallon from a 29 gallon,established. i would like to add some different type fish that are good for a community aquarium. nonaggresive,any ideas?

Do you all 6 males in one tank? What size is your tank? I read about how male gouramis can be aggressive towards each other... Then again I see in the stores the males are put in a single tank. May be there is occasional aggression, but mostly they seem OK together. What's your experience/observation?

As for tank maintenance, I have been very diligent....
And thanks for your thoughts :)

yes i have all the dwarf gouramis in the same tank. i have an all male tank. along with the dwarf gouramis i have 8 serape tetras, 3 x-ray tetras, 2 regular size gouramis, 1 german ram, 1 apistogramma, 1 cockatoo double orange cichlid, 1 flag cichlid, and 2 bumblebee cat fish. these fish have been together for about 2 years. they all get along fine with no aggression or fighting. i think when you leave the females out of the tank the males really have nothing to fight about. my tank is 45 gallons but it's 56" long so there is alot of forward swimming area. they aren't cramped at all and have lots of places to go. it's also pretty heavily planted but i don't have any caves or anything like that. they are all out in the open. here's some pics of my tank.:flowers:
36993-albums9382-picture37093.jpg

36993-albums9382-picture37094.jpg

36993-albums8518-picture32680.jpg

JP,

Wow! What a beautiful set up you have!(y) I've never seen anything like that! Is this custom made or something? Awesome, indeed....

JP,

Wow! What a beautiful set up you have!(y) I've never seen anything like that! Is this custom made or something? Awesome, indeed....

thanks alot. it isn't custom made but does have custom features. i ordered it from aquavim aquariums. if you google them you'll see all the table aquariums they have available. they also have many different shapes of aquariums. there's only one plug leading from the aquarium. all the lights, power heads and heater are wired to a control panel with toggle switches so it's easy to turn all the parts on and off. the lights are hidden under the cross bars at the top of the aquarium. then for the table top you have an oval piece of beveled glass. i have to say that it was a bit expensive but my husband and i use it as a piece of furniture as well so it wasn't that bad considering we got a table and an aquarium.:)

Back
Top Bottom